Buying used-rebuilt outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying used-rebuilt outboards

Alright so I have a 1995 Javelin 400TE with a 225 Evinrude Vindicator that happens to have two cylinders with holes and one pretty beat up head , I'm weighing my options right now as to get a rebuilt powerhead for it or to just scrap it and get a new outboard. My question is this; have any of you bought a rebuilt outboard off the internet, and how did it work out? I regularly search on ebay for 200 or 225 Yamaha Vmaxs, Evinrude Etecs, and Mercs and they seem to run in the $7000 range which seems pretty good to me. Any other sources would be welcome

Thanks.
    Catching largemouth on frogs is like finding the last beer in the fridge.:Drink:

A rebuilt motor is only as reliable as the mechanic who performed the work.............just my 2 cents
    "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane"

- Waylon Jennings

Comment

before you buy, gimme a shout. i have a connection in Bluff City, TN (Watson's Marine) who will take care of you. same guy who squared jay away w/ his motor. used motors come w/ a pedigree (tech inspection, computer read-out, etc) and they'll stand behind what they sell. won't get much better than that w/ a used motor.
      sigpic

Comment

I have never purchased a rebuilt motor but I would think a mechanic that offers a warranty would be the way to go.
        Kirk
        sigpic

Comment

i second Nate on the rebuilt motor and the mechanic. I have bought a rebuild from the internet and that will not happen again. I just bought a new (to me) motor for my Saltwater boat it has a new power head with 0 hours for a old motor in need of repair this is the only way i believe i would go. I did this motor due to trusted friends giving me the info on the shop and mechanic i got it from. I got a 250hp Suzuki 4stroke ran it yesterday and loved it.

I will say though the guy 31 uses is where i would go for a used motor. I know Jay and he has a good motor and they treated him right. If you go used get a print out if at all possible from the ECM on the motor that will tell you a lot about how the person ran the boat and if any major issues were encountered with the engine.
          sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

I certainly got lucky with Watson's(thanks 31) because of the motor they had. I put an 04' Evinrude DIHO(last motor before the ETEC) on my stratos, the motor has been great and they treated me right($$$$) at Watson's. Used motors are a crapshoot so you have to keep on the look out. You can also go the route Rick has gone and get a motor with a new powerhead. There is a guy out of Richmond selling rebuilts with a 1 year warranty, you are probably looking at 6-7k installed.
            sigpic
            VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! 31Airborne I'll definitely give you a shout when I figure out what I'm going to do (not going the internet route for sure now).
              Catching largemouth on frogs is like finding the last beer in the fridge.:Drink:

Comment

Working...
              X