Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard Question/Issue

Greetings all,

I have a question concerning the performance of my 04 Tracker Avalanche w/Mercury 150 XR6 outboard. Back in January 13, I had to have the powerhead rebuilt as a result of overheating. Prior to overheating, my top speed was between 58-61 mph gps at WOT 5600 rpm.. After the rebuild, I can barely reach 45 mph at WOT 5200 rpm.. What reason could possibly cause this? Nothing has changed except the rebuilt powerhead. The prop is a 14 1/2 x 23p tempest. I followed the break-in procedure as recommended by Mercury as well as have the mechanic who performed the rebuild to look it over. Not sure if I'm omitting any more necessary information, but I just wanted to give a brief description of my problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated..
    Nitro 901 CDX w/Mercury 200 EFI dual 8' Power Poles
    TFO Rods Pro Staff
    TRC Covers Pro Staff
    Zeko Shoes Pro Staff

I am not sure but it sounds like your max rpm was reset during the repair.

Comment

Did they change the motor height?
      Mike c
      sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

Not to my knowledge... Nothing has changed except the power head...
        Nitro 901 CDX w/Mercury 200 EFI dual 8' Power Poles
        TFO Rods Pro Staff
        TRC Covers Pro Staff
        Zeko Shoes Pro Staff

Comment

sounds like the throttle stop screw on the throttle arm was adjusted. The other thing it could be is the cable was adjusted when the powerhead was installed. both easy fixes.
          sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

What Rick said, however why would you get a powerhead rebuilt because it was overheating? Wouldn't you just either clean or replace the thermostats? I'm confused, or did it blow up because it overheated so much? I'd think it would just shut down... my old 95 merc 75hp carb got a bunch of gunk in the stats, as I was stuck on a sand bar and was just rockin n rolling the throttle from F to R non stop (I was a new boater and didn't want to get wet lol).... It was overheated and the stats were packed full of gunk as well as the WP blades were all broken off (I did a serious # on it that day lol, again probably should have just pushed lol).... Anyways, the motor prevented me from driving it because it kept shutting down...

Who was your wrench? Sounds like they shouldn't be allowed to hold a wrench and charge for it.

Comment

Working...
            X