Merc rebuild advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc rebuild advise

F'd again. Got my Evinrude jet motor back from a shop rebuild on Thursday. Fishing the angler's choice tourney at Smith Mtn on Sat and blew up my Merc 150EFI. My question is this: One of the connecting rods actually knocked a hole in the block about the size of a golfball. When you have a powerhead replacement, do they actually replace the block? It's not a good thing when you pop the cowell of your motor and there are metal chunks laying in the bottom!

Dang, Charlie. Need to back off the gas, dood. Check w/ the guys at Watson' Marine (Mike is the main man). I was there yesterday - think I saw where they had a 150 Merc for sale. May be a cheaper option than rebuilding.
    sigpic

Comment

My boat seldom sees more than 5000 rpm's, I guess it was just time. It's a 2000 model motor. I'll call Watson's, Angler's Choice has seen the last of me, they gave it a clean bill of health the day before it **** the bed.

Comment

Quick plug here for Watson's marine (just outside Bristol). I took my 150 down there, no appointment, just walked in and dropped it off on a Monday. They called me on Tuesday, had the motor apart and it was F'd just as I suspected. New powerhead ordered, installed and picked up the following Thursday and ready for pickup. Entire process took 10 days with no appointment, in the middle of the summer. It sat around at Angler's Choice for two days shy of a month before anybody even looked at it prior to the blowup. Watson's is an hour further drive for me, but worth every mile.

Comment

Yep, Aaron runs a great business down there. Have been using them since I first moved to TN in '09. I have no issues making the drive to get my ride serviced there.

For the record, Watson's is in Bluff City, TN, off of US 11E. Maybe 3 miles south of Bristol Motor Speedway. 423.538.5332.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X