Stratos/Mare of Aquia grumbling....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratos/Mare of Aquia grumbling....

I'll set the stage for those who don't know...here is my two part gripe for the day (sorry have to vent).

I bought a 2007 Stratos bass boat new. I have had some warranty work done for minor issues at Mare of Aquia. Their service completely sucks as it took months for them to fix what they label as "minor issues". Anyway, with my warranty about ready to run out, I've been trying to schedule some simple things that needed repair before the expiration with Stratos.

Well....

As you are aware...Genmar Holdings (the parent company of Stratos) went bankrupt last year. Since I haven't heard anything from Stratos to my warranty repair requests, i called Mare to just schedule the repairs myself. Sam at Mare tells me that they won't do any warranty work for Stratos since they won't get paid by the company for the repairs. Perhaps I can understand this perspective, but regardless it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

In a nutshell, Stratos isn't returning any calls or emails, and the dealer won't fix the defects in the product leaving me, the consumer, with issues that should be covered under the warranty they provided with the product. Genmare is bankrupt and I am stuck paying for repairs that should be covered on their watch.

Word to the wise...don't buy any products formerly owned by Genmar, (Ranger, Stratos, Champion etc.) and don't buy anything from Mare Inc.

I feel better now...Bang Head/gun/:Swear:
    2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner

sigpic

2010 LAPR/VAO 150 Series Champion
    Walmart BFL All-American Qualifier

But to paint the real picture Mark - you and Rob and others have taken things to Mare and the service takes FOREVER to get completed and usually not in the time frame they tell you - correct?

Comment

I know Mare very well. I had a very close friend that used to work there many years ago so I know the deal. Lets just say that I am a die hard Bass Cat guy but I'd drive to MI to get one before I went there. Everything I do with a Cat goes to POPS for a reason.
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

You are right on the money Brian....

If they offered to give me a boat free with the agreement that I take it there for all service- I would tell them to keep it.

sigpic

Comment

Well I now know what to look forward to with my 06 Stratos. Thanks for the heads up.
          www.shenandoahvalleybass.com
          www.denalirods.com

sigpic

Comment

The little red headed dude basically told my wife to go you know what....Well i guess he did not know that you dont mess with a Texas woman....She politely told him if he did not get the boat ready as promised that she would bounce him off the wall....At least I got my boat as promised that day. But as the lesson goes I will never take boat to them if I can help it!!! So yes Brian they never get you your boat on time. Unless you bought it there.
            sigpic
            sigpic

Comment

The little read headed dude....

I'm almost certain that guy is Sam. I really don't see how they stay in business. He's an abrasive little bitch.
              I will say the Mercury mechanic is good, if you are willing to wait a few years for it to be completed.

To put things in perspective, in the first two years I owned my boat it sat in their shop for almost six months to fix a gps receiver (which I can replace in a few minutes) and to fix trolling motor interference with graphs(which I ended up having to fix anyway). I took the boat back three times for the TM inter. before just fixing it myself. Each time they kept saying they were "waiting on parts".

sigpic

Comment

Got in touch with Stratos today. They (as of today) are now back to honoring the warranty on their products after the bankruptcy. Warranty work is planned but thinking of making the drive to Angler's Choice instead.

Good news from Stratos.

sigpic

Comment

That is good news for you Mark - might be worth the drive...

Comment

good news mark.
                    sigpic
                    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Good news Mark. Other than them being very slow, and the parking situation there kind of a mess, the work (motor and FF installation) has always been done right for me and they didn't nickel and dime me for spurious charges....So I guess it is a lottery......
                      cheers,
                      Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                      Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X