Blown Motor '04 200 Merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown Motor '04 200 Merc

Blew my motor on the Chick on Sat, '04 200 Merc needs a new powerhead or total replacement. There was no warning just BOOM and that was all she wrote. Have no idea what I am going to do. The boat itself is in excellent condition but with college on the horizon and 4 kids not sure if I can talk the better half into a new engine for 13k or a repair for 6K. Thinking maybe I can trade down a few yrs for an older boat and minimize the financial impact. Anyone with any ideas I may not have thought of? I am in no hurry since its the fall but have not been in this situation and am not sure of the best route to take. Advice welcome/needed!

That sux big time, Jody.

Try these guys. A buddy of mine bought an outboard from them for his center console.

http://www.budgetboats.net/Motors.htm
    ~Tight Lines~
    www.facebook.com/lane.hariu

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Lane. I still waxed Erik's arse in the T. :o)

Comment

hahahaha... Please see below...

That was mighty nice of me to take the final 40-min of the tx to tow you in, Applaud considering I could have let you sit and have your catch DQ'd for time.

Just kidding dude...That just flat out sucks. Hope you'll be good to go soon with whatever decision you make. Your welcome in my boat anytime - just don't touch the motor...
        Last edited by gnfsnva; 10-20-2010, 01:46 PM.
        Wishin' I was fishin'...
        www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gnfsnva View Post
          ...Your welcome in my boat anytime - just don't touch the motor...
          See....you guys can get along....:ROFL:

I hope everything works out for you, in all seriousness.
          ~Tight Lines~
          www.facebook.com/lane.hariu

sigpic

Comment

There are allot of nice boats out there in the 6 to 13K range. You could part the other one out and make between 3 and 5K and just go with a used one.
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

check out craigslist for Richmond. There is a guy here in Ashland that rebuilds motors and sells them there with a one year warranty I believe.
              TommyV

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                check out craigslist for Richmond. There is a guy here in Ashland that rebuilds motors and sells them there with a one year warranty I believe.
                I think that is the same guy that rebuilt my dads 112 Evinrude 2-stroke. If it is, he did an excellent job and it runs great now. That was the second time we blew the same cylinder and he said that one cylinder is notorious for running lean in that engine (not getting enough gas) so he put in a slightly larger jet and did a great rebuild job. If you want some info on him, send me a PM and I will get his name and number from my dad.
                sigpic

Comment

I used a guy that rebuilt evnrudes/johnsons that was in Ashland many years ago. I cant remember his name but he was rude, dishonest, and his rebuild only lasted a whoping 36 operating hours. It cost me 5700.00. It must not be the same guy you are talking about.
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by just1more View Post
                    I used a guy that rebuilt evnrudes/johnsons that was in Ashland many years ago. I cant remember his name but he was rude, dishonest, and his rebuild only lasted a whoping 36 operating hours. It cost me 5700.00. It must not be the same guy you are talking about.
                    Doesnt sound like it. My dad got referred to him by a friend who really liked his work too. Must have been a different guy. And our motor runs great now too.
                    sigpic

Comment

That sucks but happens to many of us. How many hours on it when it let go ?
                      One Lap Race..

Comment

BassVA you may try this place.
                        http://www.argmarine.com/pre_owned_l...&submit=Search
                        sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

I'm late to this thread but...

buy the block dressed out for $3k. This will eliminate any issues you had by getting a fully dressed block. You could by an indepth build manual, and re-install it over the winter by yourself. You will become knowlegdable about your own engine, and it will help you have the confidence to repair it yourself in the future.

The only thing you might need is a hoist of some sort. You can buy a fairly cheap one from Harbor Freight, and have a total of about $3.5K invested.

Thats what I would do.

It also looks like you have an EFI? If so, you could get a 250pro xb block and have a nice sleeper. There are alot of options, but rebuilding that block is out of the question from the photos.

If you need some guidance, shoot me an IM.

Comment

Working...
                          X