Motor winterizing thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor winterizing thoughts?

I wanted to see what everyone thought of winterizing. Is it worth it or not? When I had my jet motor (mercury) I never winterized it and used it up till ice on the riverand never had a problem. Since I have bought my Stratos, I always take it to Ken's marine to have my Yamaha winterized and looked over and whatever else he does. My boat sits outside so I figure this is a good idea. The only problem is, I can't fish and that kills me. I want to know what other guys do in this case. Have you ever had any problems with not winterizing or is it worth the money to winterize? Remember, that there is no garage so the boat is in the elements all winter.
    www.shenandoahvalleybass.com
    www.denalirods.com

sigpic

Corey,
    Just like you, my boat is outside in the cold. I have NEVER winterized any outboard that I have owned. I do take precautions though. After I put the boat back on the trailer, I lower the engine and drain the water. Then I trim it up and watch it drain again, then I lower it back down and even more water will come out. The water Jackets kinda snake their way through there. Once I have all the water out, I start it for about 5 seconds to blow any more water out of it. Once I get home I will trim it all the way down so no rain water will get in. I have been doing this for over 20 years and everything has been fine.

If you plan on fishing in the winter, I think that winterizing is a waste of money. I do however put Stabil in the gas, even If I plan on fishing a couple times a week. Mother nature will throw a curveball in winter fishing plans and I dont want untreated gas in my tank. Just my 3 cents!!
    CCBASSN Lake Anna Guide Service
    Blog www.ccbassnlakeanna.blogspot.com
    Team Lew's Pro Staff www.lews.com
    Asst. Manager Anna Point Marina Shore Store www.annapoint.com
    LAPR Bass Series Asst. Director www.laprbass.com

sigpic
    sigpic

Comment

I keep mine outside all winter as well and do the same things as Chris - I use it at least once a week. The biggest challenge I have found are pumps and fuses - I make sure to pull the plug out of the live wells. I also have had issues with boxes freezing, esp after fishing in the rain...If you do fish in this weather - I'd recommend letting the baot sit in the water a few minutes before starting it up - it also may take some time for it to start peeing....
      Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250
      sigpic

Comment

I echo what Chris and Gman said...up till this year my boat has been kept outside its whole life and never winterized and its a '91.

Make sure you try and get all the water out of the motor when you get the boat out of the water like chris described. and careful with your pumps ect..

When i first put the boat in on a below freezing AM I'll let the motor sit for awhile and give the lake water a chance tho thaw any ice that may be in w/ the water pump.
        sigpic
        sigpic

Comment

My boat is in a garage, and I use it year round, so I have never winterized it. If it were going to sit for a few months, I think it might be worthwhile. Keeping your cylinders from rusting is a good excuse to go fishing.
          sigpic

Comment

I will be covering this subject in one of the segments of my current blog but in a nut shell if you can get out a least once a month over winter then dont worry about it. If you put it up in Nov or Dec 1st and not plan on using it untill late Feb or Mar then get it winterized. Treated gas or not I would drain the fuel tanks completly empty if I were not going to use it for 3 months period.
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

What everyone else has said...I do. I never winterize. Never know when that 70 degree day will pop up and you are kicking yourself. Also...any water trapped in gauges will make them freeze and render useless. I put a tee in my water pressure gauge line to drain the water.....also the intake hole for the speedo on the motor...make sure it is open and drains.
              2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
              2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
              2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
              2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
              "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
              sigpic

Comment

I do winterize my boat. However, I have an E-TEC sitting on the back. The motor can be winterized at the ramp, in just 3 minutes, by going through a couple steps. So if one of those 70 degree days pop up I can use the boat and just "re-winterize" the motor at the ramp when I'm done.
                ~Tight Lines~
                www.facebook.com/lane.hariu

sigpic

Comment

Now I know what I am doing next year. Not winterizing. Hopefully then I can fish these winter VAO events and other winter series. Thanks for the input guys. Lane..Are Evinrudes the only motor you can winterize like that? Not sure what steps you do for winterize on your E-Tec.
                  www.denalirods.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ccarter View Post
                    Lane..Are Evinrudes the only motor you can winterize like that? Not sure what steps you do for winterize on your E-Tec.
                    I'm pretty sure the E-TECs are the only outboards that offer this feature. However, I wouldn't be surprised if other companies begin to offer it, eventually.

As far as the steps you take, check this out.

~Tight Lines~
                    www.facebook.com/lane.hariu

sigpic

Comment

That is pretty cool.
                      www.denalirods.com

sigpic

Comment

Man I like those E-Techs Always was an Evinrude man but now own a Yamy and love it, now its just time to check longevity.
                        Winterizeing no not me mostly because as what Jim said most of the time use it atleast once a month. Also as above it gives a good excuse to get the boat out on the water and out of the house.
                        2017 Ironman winner
                        2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

I never winterize but then I fish year 'round. I spare the effort/expense by getting my annual service done in JAN. That ties up those bleak winter days when you're not likely to get out much. The motor comes back w/ fresh lube and fully drained. Just a matter of keeping the batts charged.

Only thing you hafta be careful/patient about is drained the powerhead after a winter outing. Takes a few extra mins for the water to drain completely - motor down and motor up.
                          sigpic

Comment

Winter and Batteries

My question is how do you keep those batteries happy?

I have 4 in my boat and lost one already this winter. I have a minnkota 4 bank charger. I did winterize and wonder if leaving those batteries in sub freezing is a bad idea. Should I hit em with charger once every week or two or pull em till warmer wx?i
                            sigpic
                            sigpic

Comment

Never have had a problem with my batteries.....and I keep my boat outside. Just charge them up every couple of weeks if you're not fishing.
                              2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
                              2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
                              2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
                              2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
                              "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X