? Trolling Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? Trolling Motor

I need some advice on what to use as a trolling for my new boat. I got hold of a old Larson tri hull and have thought about putting a trolling motor on it. any suggestion.

odoncatfish trolling motors??? It is all in what you would like to spend or not spend. Everyone on this fourm has their opinion on brands as with boats and out boards. So how long of a shaft do you need? How much thrust do you want? Hand steer, foot or remote? Questions you need to answer yourself.

Comment

My suggestion would be get a 36v remote control (I am a fan of the Minnekota with iPilot, which will be my next one. If you are going to be Striper fishing, and in a tri-hull that would be my guess, then most of the guys want remote control so you can stay focused on the planer boards and 10 rods and not keeping your foot on a pedal. If you go with the GPS based system like I am going to, you can set a trail and it will simply follow it, or you can say "hold" and it will stay within 5 ft.....All handy stuff for trolling and Striper fishing....
      cheers,
      Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
      Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman77 View Post
        odoncatfish trolling motors??? It is all in what you would like to spend or not spend. Everyone on this fourm has their opinion on brands as with boats and out boards. So how long of a shaft do you need? How much thrust do you want? Hand steer, foot or remote? Questions you need to answer yourself.
        Some good questions in there with out a doubt and everyone will have an opinion but I agree first think about the questions:

How long a shaft will be needed - how high is the boat off the water

Where will you keep the batteries? Is there only room for 1 battery limiting you to 12V systems, 2 batteries for a 24 volt system etc

Hand steer, pedal steer or remote control steering?

Transom mount or bow mount?

What is the dollar range of your budget including a quality battery to run the trolling motor - and charger if necessary?

From here we can give you all the opinions and more! Let us know and we can help you.

Comment

Okay I should not been so vague I was trying to deal with the wife and rushed the post.

I should start with I am new to a bigger boat then my small Jon boat
          use will be for stripper/bass but like the idea of having a little back up if something happen to the outboard.

So how deep should the trolling motor be in the water if mounted in the front?
          I see a foot control bow mount being my first choice. But I am open to advice more experience boaters them myself.

Can a transom mount push a big boat like this one? (It might,but for how long right)

Now for 12 ,24, 36 volt I have no idea.

Now the big one COST .....I don't want to go cheap but something that can get me going and up grade latter.

I will take some pic of the front area of my boat. If needed

Thanks

Comment

If you plan on doing any kind of trolling with it, I would get a electric turning one that you can use a remote with and then also get a foot pedal so you can use the foot pedal when bass fishing. We have a saltwater one on our boat and you would NEVER want to try and bass fish with just using the remote. Would be impossible, especially if its windy. Never had any problems with our Minn Kota.
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you striper.Just let me know when you would like to go catch a Striper on Anna, since jrjune wont take us.

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman77 View Post
                Thank you striper.Just let me know when you would like to go catch a Striper on Anna, since jrjune wont take us.
                :ROFL::Fishing:
                sigpic
                sigpic

Comment

J.Cash Don't know were that came from to many beers last night?? odoncatfish trolling motor on the bow is best. it should be at least 12 inches in the water. You can get the Minn Kota trolling motors with out the copilot or Ipilot and add it later to save some dollars. ( I think it's copilot and not autopilot) But they are still pretty pricey. Best thing to do is read up on line that will help you the most. But I do like the MinnKota trolling motors the best.

Comment

Thanks for the help. looks like I will be looking at a Minn Kota

Comment

I have the Minn Kota Terrova with the I pilot. Its great to have the option of using the foot control for bass fishing or using the remote for trolling stripers. It is pricey, but very versatile. If I had a choice, I would go with a 36V set up, but I would never go less than 24V.
                      sigpic
                      sigpic

Comment

trolling motor

One thing to consider also is thrust. My last boat which I really liked came with trolling motor with only adequate thrust for normal operation. Throw wind, current and grass into the mix and at times you may as well drift or still fish. I was ok with it we were fishing in a decent bass platform- but with limitations. Then came the limitations of the boat, foot peddle sat on top of deck, not recessded in floor- at times I almost wished I had a manual handle up higher than trying to maintain balance with one foot on deck, one cocked on the TM. Not enough room on boat for 2 or 3 bank of batteries. Didn't matter, this was a great machine that good handle a great day of fishing most days. Take into accout the weight and drag of your boat, buying a TM too light for
                        Reg day on water will be a real bummer

Now I love my skeeter. It's limitations are me and getting my side scan to 1) work properly 2) be able to read it. (I see the larger unit in my futre).
                        sigpic
                        sigpic

Comment

Definately err on the "more" is better side as mentioned above. As for the recessed tray I installed one on my 93 Gambler yesterday. Piece of cake. I have the MinnKota Maxxum 101 36v tm and was able to put the 3 tm batteries in the rear compartment with the cranking battery. Still rigging the boat but I am sure it will be enough motor
                          sigpic
                          sigpic

Comment

All great suggestions above. Just dont make the mistake I had done twice. Thought a 54 would work then upgraded to 70lb. Fishing alot on the Potomac where 2-4 ft rollers are norm and factor in the grass, I upgraded to the 109lb. Not saying that "bigger the better" comes into play but I have no issues with the rollers or grass anymore. Go with the biggest you can afford.
                            Crank That Jank!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X