Outboard motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard motors

So who builds the best two stroke motor and who builds the best four stroke motor? Would just like to see how close or not it would be for Mercury.

In my opinion Evinrude builds the best 2 stroke because that is what I have on my boat. Yamaha builds the best 4 stroke. This question is just like asking someone FORD or CHEVY???????? It is all personal preference. I will say that the reason I do not have a Merc on my boat is when I was looking for an engine last year I could not find a 225 that came with controls. I didnt have to change a thing when I put the Evinrude on it, a new wiring harness adapter was all that was needed.
    CCBASSN Lake Anna Guide Service
    Blog www.ccbassnlakeanna.blogspot.com
    Team Lew's Pro Staff www.lews.com
    Asst. Manager Anna Point Marina Shore Store www.annapoint.com
    LAPR Bass Series Asst. Director www.laprbass.com

sigpic
    sigpic

Comment

Evinrude E-TEC gets my vote for 2 cycles.
      ~Tight Lines~
      www.facebook.com/lane.hariu

sigpic

Comment

Mercury Optimax for 2-banger, hands down. Never owned a 4-stroke so I'll pass on that one, altho' Squire's planes out pretty good when WOT in reverse.
        sigpic

Comment

I've never owned a 2 stroke outboard.....I like my Verado, it has been bullet proof since I owned it and Bob Toller (Marine Mechanic) did some research for me and had dinner with the east coast regional Mercury rep and he told Bob they have been amazed at how few problems they have had with the Verado. Now, it is 200lbs heavier than a 2 stroke, so you pay for that. The new Yammie 4stroke would seem to be the best of both worlds, but I am going to wait a couple years till they have enough history with that new motor before I say it is better than the Verado....It has the potential due to its lighter weight and performance, but in engineering, everything is a compromise.....reducing weight means going to lighter metals and thinner walls in the block and lighter moving parts....modern machining techniques being better and tolerances being what they are, they should be good, BUT, it is new technology....
          cheers,
          Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
          Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

CC I know what you are saying about the chevy and Ford and this question. But I just could not help asking. I have owned a couple different brand motors and have fished some with my dad who too has owned a couple different brands. So I to have a opinion on this but it is just that.

Comment

Chevys and Fords

After owning 3 OMC motors I picked up a 2002 Mercury Opti. 200 hp, still running flawlessly. 360+ hours. Never going back to Johnson/Evinrude had a problem every year with something. One blew up the others had constant electrical issues. Good friend has been running a 225 Yammy Vmax for over 7 years. Way over 400 hours, still going strong. No experiances with 4 strokes.
              One Lap Race..

Comment

I have a mid 80's Yamaha on my SW boat very few problems ( normal with fuel now)-- a friend has newer yamaha 4stroke It runs great and is very quiet - even when running hard!
                I blew up a 2- 275 (310hp) Johnsons ( ran hard in those days, I blame it on VRO) , the 200 johnson I had ran GREAT and never owned a big Merc but a 40, a 35, a 25 and a 3.5-- all ran great. ( had a breakdown in Chesapeake bay with a friend that has 225 merc)
                I agree, it really is like the Ford.chev question..??
                Last edited by HeyCharlie; 01-20-2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I have owned 4 Mercs (2 stroke) on four different boats and loved all of them. No troubles. I would easily buy my 5th.
                  Rob
                  1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Comment

Like both Yamaha and Mercury as I have owned both with little issue.

Comment

Yamaha for four strokes without a doubt. The VA Beach marine police used to run Mercs on all of their boats but due to having lots of issues with them, they are transitioning to running Yamahas. My dad decals almost all of their boats and has talked to many of the guys that run the boats. If you go down to the bay or ocean, you will see more Yamahas than any other outboard.
                      sigpic

Comment

Have had a Yamaha since 2005 and love it. Wouldn't buy any other brand.
                        eli golfer
                        Gaithersburg, Maryland

Comment

as far as 4 strokes go, seems like you can't go wrong with Yammies or Zuki's. Lots of Zuki's coming into play on the salt.
                          sigpic
                          VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X