Boat values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat values?

Looking to pick up a used boat. No idea how to tell the basic value. Any guidance or sites to look at? Tried NADA but the details don't seem to add up for me.

Basically..
    97 Bass Cat Jaguar
    200HP Johnson Venom
    Motorguide 36v tour digital trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS 5 Graph in dash
    dual Livewells
    On board three bank changer
    Tandem axle trailer
    Ideas?

Guy has it priced at $8500

Thanks
    Sam

Sam, I think depending on the functional condition of the boat, and the overall condition of the motor it is probably a fair price. Considering the make of the boat and the installed features if you are comfortable with the cosmetics of it then i'd say its a good deal. Come in a little low and see what they say.
    sigpic
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

oops, Sam, also go to Bass Boat Central and hop on the Basscat Forum and you will get a bunch of answers.
      sigpic

Comment

Appreciate the quick answer! Hoping to get the money together and check the engine and floor out. Any thing else major to look at? If there is little stuff wrong, I don't really mind. A solid floor and a great engine are the deal makers I would think.

If all that checked out I would try to offer $8k, I guess. I'm not one to "lowball" as I hate when people do it to me, but it's hard to give a solid offer without a solid value.

I'll check that site out as well.

Thanks!

Comment

Definately good if you have someone that can run a compression check and check the lower unit, etc.
          sigpic

Comment

I can do a compression check myself. What do you mean by check the LU? I am somewhat handy with outboards and could probably check myself. What is there to look for specifically with that?

Tossing between this Bass Cat and a 95 Stratos. The Stratos is a 278 V so smaller and older. It also has a 130 Evinrude, so smaller engine. The guy only wants $5500 for the stratos and claims that the boat, engine, and trailer are all perfect.

Comment

LU stuff - look for sediment, filings, or indications of contamination (water/bad seals). If the oill comes out looking REAL black it's a good indication it hasn't been changed. Any of these could be a red flag.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 31Airborne View Post
                LU stuff - look for sediment, filings, or indications of contamination (water/bad seals). If the oill comes out looking REAL black it's a good indication it hasn't been changed. Any of these could be a red flag.
                Thanks for the input, that's simple to check. I thought you meant some internal gear checks or something.

Right now I have 3 boats to look at.
                95 Stratos with a 130 Evinrude $5500
                98 Nitro 896 with Merc 200 EFI 2 Stroke $8000
                97 Bass Cat Jaguar with a Johnson 200 Venom $8000

They all appear to be in about the same shape and have comparable electronics. Obviously the Stratos is older, smaller, and has a smaller engine but is much cheaper. Upon looking at the boats and finding them to be to my liking condition wise, which would you choose and why? Obviously, I would like the larger more powerful boats but are they worth the money? Anyone have any experience with the boats or engines?

Sorry for so many questions. Trying to not make a $8000 mistake. Also, the Bass Cat and Nitro are very close to me as the Stratos is 4 hours away. I'm leaning towards the Nitro at the moment.

Thanks again
                Sam

Comment

Think about all the factors involved...budget, repair costs (which are inevitable), towing costs, where you're going to be fishing and such.

I'm sure that each of those boats is going to have pro's and con's, so you'll have to just weigh it all out, drive them and get them tested
                  Wishin' I was fishin'...
                  www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Make sure to check the hours on the motor, hopefully those motors have a computer. Age is different than use. The computer will also tell you how the engine was run, times over the rev limit, etc....
                    cheers,
                    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

I am a tight wad but i dont believe i would spend that much on a boat pushing 15 years old. It would have to be in very ,very turn key condition. There are people everywhere trying to get out from under boats. But like i said i squeeze pretty hard. lol
                      sigpic

CHUCK n DUCK

Comment

check for rot as well- If Im not mistaken Bass Cat went to all composite in 2000- thats why they have the transferable lifetime hull warrenty from 2000 and to the present- just look it over good
                        Crank That Jank!
                        sigpic

Comment

You will want to go with the ones with the more horsepower. You will find that you will wanting more than that 130. You can always back off of the gas if need be in the larger motors.
                          www.shenandoahvalleybass.com
                          www.denalirods.com

sigpic

Comment

Make sure you check the transom. Take the motor toter off, while the engine is tilted up push down on it. If the transom flexes, walk away. The 200 efi has a history of being a dependable engine. I have one on my 99 Ranger and it still runs well.
                            Kirk
                            sigpic

Comment

Based on my personal experience and knowledge for friends' issues/successes, the Merc EFI is prob the most reliable of the motors listed above. The Nitro 896 is a smart platform. A little lite so it'll be kinda ruff when the water's heavy but it's manageable. Plenty of qualified techs in the area who can service both the motor and the boat. Recommend dropping a PM to GMan. He drives a Z7 Nitro (about the same size). He can offer a better, more detailed commentary on the ride/handling.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X