No announcement yet.

Boat values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On that note, I have a '04 Nitro NX882, which I believe is 1 step smaller than 896 and the NX882 was replaced by the Z-7. I have a '04 Mercury 150 XR6, and it runs great. I've spent some money on it recently with maintenance, but it was a result of vritually no routine maintenance done with by the two previous owners (i.e. plugs, fuel line, water pump). It's my understanding the XR6 and EFI are two of the best built motors out there (past and present) and they can run for years with proper and regular maintenance.

I like my Nitro, and have had no issues with anything on it other than general maint. on the motor. Granted it's my first boat and I have little to compare it with, but I'm good with the layout, plenty of space for an 18-6 boat and it rides fairly well. I'll agree with 31 in that it feels light sometimes in the rougher water...but then again, maybe I just need a little more experience.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Sam, forgot one tidbit: the EFI that's [still] on my old boat is [still] running strong (factory specs on compression). It has over 600 hrs on it.
      sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. This is a large financial decision for me so I'd like to make it an educated one. I'm really leaning at the Nitro and have heard good things about the 200 EFI as well. I've heard some bad things about older Nitros though. Only an inspection will tell, I guess.

How do I check the computer for times over rev limiter, etc? That would be nice to see. I plan to check the compression and LU as well as the overall condition of the wiring and fuel lines. I just got a bunch of pictures today and overall it looks to be in good shape for a 98. Small tears in the original seats and a small scuff on the back corner of the hull from a dock. Other than that, it looks great in the pictures. Has the original dual axle nitro trailer as well. Nice electronics as long as they are all working. Lowrance HDS -7 and Lowrance X135 up front. Motorguide 24V 82lb thrust digitl tour series trolling motor.

Hull looks good. Will definetly check the transom especially since there's a big ol' jack plate on the engine.

Here's some pictures and a link to the rest. Please let m know if you see anything of concern or if it looks good for a 98.

Thanks once again
        Sam

http://photobucket.com/Nitro896

Comment

My son had a 99 basscat jaguar. Basscat makes one of the best boat in the market even in 97 but it underpowered with a 200. I would skip that one. I hate to be a party pooper here but I had a 200 efi and it blew up three times in five years. The bottom line is a engine could last 15 years trouble free or go 1 hour from now. I like the looks of that Nitro. If you go to NADA you can get the low, average and high values of the boat, engine, and trailer. Thats a good starting point and its what the banks use for financing. One last thing. Some insurance compines will not insure a used boat over ten years old. Good luck!
          2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
          2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Here is what I am told is the ONLY problems..

Trailer brakes do not work and are "pinned" so that they do not activate
            Speedo does not work
            Front transducer was bumped off of trolling motor

There is no hour meter and he is the second owner. Claims to have put 100 hours on it himself.

Comment

Take it for a ride and see what you think. Either way, you should get the motor checked out.

As for brakes - I like them because I have a fairly light tow vehicle, and that's a lot of weight pushing me around. Not having brakes might be able to get you down a few bucks.

Take a good look at the trailer and bunks - find out where he fished. I don't think the Tracker Marine trailers are too highly regarded. My 2004 Tracker Marine trailer is starting to show some real wear and tear from the brackish waters of the chick and potomac.
              Wishin' I was fishin'...
              www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Sam, to repair the brakes you're looking at 300+ to have the actuator replaced installed and bled. that could bring you down in price a little. Take it to harbins marine around the potomac or sturgeon around the lake and have them run a compression check on it. If its got an ECU on it they can pull the report.

erik, that doesn't make any sense, you don't fish enough to pu wear and tear on the trailer....
                sigpic
                VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

But he does have a point Jay. I know more than one of my friends that had a square stock trailer. The brackish water gets traped inside and the salt eats it up from the inside out. He found out because one of the main rails going to the tounge broke plum in two.
                  Last edited by just1more; 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM.
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

My speedo hasn't worked since I bought my boat (new). I use GPS for ground speed inidcation.

A tech should be able to hook up to the ECU and pull down all the engine data - hours, misses, RPMs, etc.

Boat looks good, well kept.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input all. I'm so excited to get a "real" boat that I'm trying my hardest to not jump into a deal without being sure it's good. If those really are the only problems, then I am not too concerned. I can do brakes myself as long as parts are easily available. Speedo.. who cares.

My test drive is scheduled for 10 am on Thursday. Wonder if Hope Springs can check the engine out for me and what they'd charge. I can run a compression test myself. I don't have a diagnostic tool for a Merc obviously to pull the engine history.

I'll let you all know what I find out. Bank already approved me. So all is well so far...

Comment

BTW, what are realistic hours to expect on a 1998 engine? I know it's soley based on who owned it and how they used it, but I'm sure there is a average usage to base off of. Also, what amount of hours is scary?

Comment

Working...
                        X