Steering trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering trouble

Recently I bought a Ranger Z20 (2007) with a 12" jack plate (hydraulic) with hydraulic steering, never had anything like this before. The trouble I'm having is steering to the left is very stiff, is it supposed to be that way? It turns fine when not on plane. I have tried adjusting trim up and down but doesn't seem to help much. Can anybody give me some advice? Would be very helpful. Thanks.
    CMR Heating & Air www.cmrva.com

I believe it's due to the torque from the prop rotation. I don't have hydraulic steering or anything, but my boat is often difficult to turn left at certain speeds and trim levels v. rpms.

I've just had to get used to it and learn where it's hard to turn and where its not.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

have you checked your fluid levels recently? if you get an airpocket in there it could effect it. I have hydraulic on my ride and its easy to turn either way under power. it is much harder to turn when not fully on plane.
      sigpic
      VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Wish I could tell how to fix it Robert. Thats definitly not right. I have Hyd. steering on my 518 and you can steer it with ease at any speed. I would call Ranger and run it by them. I can't say enough about how good they have treated me over the years.
        One Lap Race..

Comment

this could also be a motor bracket/jackplate height issue. possibly need the motor moved up on the mounting bracket and the jackplate lowered.
          sigpic
          VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Sometimes mine will be harder to steer than normal and that's telling me that I have it over trimmed or the jack plate ain't right. I play with it a little until it steers freely and that's when I know I have it trimmed just right for the speed I am running. A bent rod will cause it to. I just remembered something else. Does it have a tilt steering? Pull the rubber boot back covering the wheel and look for a loose bolt. That happened to me once.
            Last edited by just1more; 06-24-2011, 05:52 PM.
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help, certainly do appreciate it.

Comment

Have you found out the problem yet Robert ?
                One Lap Race..

Comment

I believe I have. It is all in the trim, there's one little sweet spot you have to find and it works pretty good. The faster I go I have to keep adjusting trim to keep it in the sweet spot, but it works. Again thanks for all the help.

Comment

Thats the same way with my boat. Again, no hydraulic steering, but at idle speeds it's a piece of cake. As I run up the RPMs and at different trim levels I will have difficulty, but there is sweet range where I've just figured it out.
                    Wishin' I was fishin'...
                    www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X