Steering Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Cables

I have a 2004 Nitro NX882 (18'-6") with a 2004 Mercury XR6 150. My steering is rediculously tight, and has gotten tighter over the few months when I've been out. It's so tight now that I really have to fight to get the wheel turned, especially under power, which concerns me should I have to take any sort of evasive action. I've owned the boat for a bit over 2-years, and it's always been tight, but I had attributed that a lot to prop torque and just the fact that it was not hydraulic steering.

Being 7-years old now, I guess I need to replace them, but I have no idea where to start in finding the parts needed to make it happen. Not that I'm going to do it myself, but I'd like to know what the parts would cost before moving forward. I'll take volunteers if someone wants to help me do it though...

Any help on what I need specifically, where to buy and/or any other recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Not sure if these help at all, but here are some pics of what I have.

Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

not sure Erik but i think you have to remove your outboard. Jeff (ranger374) just had his replaced and they had to remove his to do the install. Maybe he will see this thread and chime in
    Crank That Jank!
    sigpic

Comment

Eric, There is no need to remove the powerhead. I'm sure the steering on your boat is mfg. by Teleflex. Unfortunately they do not sell replacement cables only cables complete with the rack. I replaced them on my old Stratos with a no feedback dual cable outfit. Teleflex parts are available at any Bass Pro, Cabellas,... Start to finish it's about a two hour job, however before you go to the expense investigate why they are binding in the first place. More than likely it's where the cables run thru the outboard bracket. Start by your steering to the right as far as possible then loosen the big cap nuts on the cables, now just push the OB by hand all the way to the left. That will reveal the part of the cable that runs thru the tubes make sure they are free of rust and debris, clean and grease well, even use WD40 if you need to clean them. As general maint. this should be done once a year. Here's a link on replacement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVGaND8FQe4. Cheers!

Comment

After reviewing the Teleflex site I see there are cables available, for the NFB rack the PN is Rack SSC135XX, XX is for the length of cable.

Comment

Thanks for the info Al. I appreciate it.
          Wishin' I was fishin'...
          www.lds.org

sigpic

Comment

Erik check Jamestown distributing, they have alot of teleflex stuff. Just a guess but it looks like your boat has a dual cable rack and pinion type system, I'd have to see the helm side to be sure, if the end of the cables under/behind the steering wheel are in what looks like a long black box, that's what it is, I think the p/n for those are SSC124xx.... Thats what my boat has, and it looks like I'm in for the same replacement this winter. They'll probably be in the $120/ea. range.

It's not a major job to do,especially if there is a place to put the boat in out of the weather while its being worked on, if you want to try to tackle it I'd be willing to help.
            sigpic
            sigpic

Comment

I would disassemble and clean before I replaced the cables.
              Kirk
              sigpic

Comment

Cool Andy, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on some help before dropping any serious cash on it. I got very little if any confidence in myself when it comes to taking things apart and getting them back together. It is a rack and pinion system as that's what the collar around my steering wheel says.

I'll be willing to give it good cleaning first, and we can do it in the conditioned warehouse at my office one afternoon, if you are up for it? Give me a call and we can go from there.
                Wishin' I was fishin'...
                www.lds.org

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X