Mercury bolts........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury bolts........

As I mentioned this morning in the chat room......my big motor starting knocking while fishing at LKA yesterday. Took it up to Beavers this AM, pulled the cowling and discovered that 3 of the 6 bolts holding the pulley on to the air pump had sheared off. (Glad it wasn't a piston or rod knocking). Charlie pulled six bolts off a brand new 250 to put them in mine so I could be on my way. Started tightening them down and one of the new ones sheared off right away. Well, he called Mercury to ask what type bolt should go in there instead of the "cheap" ones, and the Rep say's replace the whole air pump. I say what the $%#@. Mercury says "that's" the answer, so I say OK. Luckily still under warranty.
    Anyway, won't have boat for a week or so. In the meantime, if you have a big Mercury engine, you should check the bolts on the air pump pulley.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    sigpic

I checked mine, so far so good. Did you buy your boat from Beaver? I did. He's a good guy. He'll get it taken care of.
    Jr.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Larry
      Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250
      sigpic

Comment

sorry to hear that, and thanks for the warning. If you wanna hit the lake while yours is down just holler, you welcome anytime. Just need like 5 hours notice Lol
        Crank That Jank!
        sigpic

Comment

Onefishaway....I bought my boat from Charlie. He is a good guy and has helped me out some bad misfortunes with my boat before.
          Wayne......Thanks for the invite buddy. Looks like no rain next week so I'll give the work thing a try. LOL
          "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
          sigpic

Comment

That Sucks!!!!!!!!!! FYI on Bolts,

Bolts have a strength rating IE: Grade 3, Grade 5, Grade 8 etc. Grade 5's are comoningly used in most industrial applications and stainless steel in most marine applications because they do not rust as badly as unprotected carbon steel. Stainless Steel bolts have a strength rating somewhere between a grade 3 and 5 which is Ok in most applications. I do not know where Merc is getting their hardware from but Steel comming from China flat out sucks. The 3/4 in SS Bolts in my transom have not held up at all with the 250 HP Yamaha so I replaced them with bolts made by CAT. They are slightly stronger than a grade 8 bolt and you would be hard pressed to find something stronger than thoes. I put anti-size on em to help fight the rust. They have stronger and better protected bolts out there (Titanium) but they are a special order item and are very expensive. Just for your info. Thanks
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

I thought this thread was interesting in light of the trouble Just1More had on the James. Sound like Mercury has some bolt issues. Jim, let us know how Mercury is dealing with your problem.
              sigpic

Comment

Me thinks Jim has a Yamaha. He's is having a problem with the shaft bushings that they just replaced.
                sigpic

Comment

I think the problem was with his partners boat with a mercury, but I could be wrong.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X