Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown Mercury 150 EFI, need mechanic suggestions

Guys:

I got the worst possible news yesterday when I took my boat to lake anna to have them check the loss of power on my 1999Mercury efi 150. They said the motor was blown and we did a compression test check. One of the cylinders/pistons had 0 compression. He said he could fix it for around $4500 and I looked at him like he was crazy. I need some different alternatives.

Please let me know someone who has a god recommendation as a mercury mechanic in the Fbrg area.

If I don't have it fixed, what do you do with a bat and a blown motor? I mean, do you just give it to a junkyard?
    Thanks,
    Jesse

You can buy a brand new powerhead from Merc for 4500.00. The cheapest way to go is to 1st get the boat back. You can remove the powerhead yourself and have a shop replace just one piston and sleeve depending on how bad the sleeve was torn up. Doing it yourself is not as bad as you think. The important part is to find out what caused the failure. Most likely, and I am guessing, it was number five or six cyl thats bad, never the less, bad timing, bad gas, bad power pack/CCU, or plain old bad luck. You may even be able to find a complete used power head for less than 1500.00 somewhere on the internet. Good luck bud.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

jessie,
      don who lives by me, traded his boat in at martinvile? for a new one, came him alot more than i thought they would for it, if this is not an alterantive, you can try to find one that is a left over for a year or 2 back. or try to find a used one.
      mike c
      sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

I have looked everywhere for an alternative, and have ended up just putting it up for sale for a couple of thousand on craigslist. I was hoping to find a different alternative and may have to if this doesn't pan out although I have several people interested already bec it is priced so low.

BTW, it was the 4th piston. The shop I talked too said he could re-sleeve the piston but it would be late this winter and would take some time.
        Thanks,
        Jesse

Comment

keep us updated
          mike c
          sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

yes deluxejunk it don't sound to good. I can tell you one thing and that is that mercury and Lowrance are over rated 10 to 1. I have owned many and most are junk

Comment

Deluxejunk lokk at EDs marine superstore. They seem to have the best prices on most outboard engines

Comment

I would look around at Marinas and boat sails they sometimes have a motor that is still new but might bee a year or two old that they will sell a little cheaper than current year.

Comment

www.docksidemarineva.com/motors.html
                  Last edited by Snowblind; 09-08-2009, 05:18 AM.
                  Crank That Jank!
                  sigpic

Comment

If you go to Ed's make sure you get your deal in writing. They might have good prices but I have heard horror stories from quite a few of their customers.
                    sigpic

Comment

You can try this as well. http://www.boatmotors.com/motorparts/
                      sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeyhead View Post
                        I would look around at Marinas and boat sails they sometimes have a motor that is still new but might bee a year or two old that they will sell a little cheaper than current year.
                        This is a good suggestion. John, a guy who works at High Point part time and also is a Striper Guide, ran over a hat with his boat, which blocked the water intake and he burned up his motor. He called over to Anna Point and the new owners of course are the Lake Country folks (bunch of nice people)...Anyway, they had a motor, still in the crate they hadn't sold they gave him a great deal on....worth a call...
                        cheers,
                        Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                        Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X