No announcement yet.

HPDI running right again: for now lol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more and more I listen to y'all with the newer fancy high-tech motors, the more grateful I am to have the nice and simple carbed Merc XR-6.

Sure, it needs an awful lot of loving on the cold mornings and will smoke you out like a forest fire for a bit if your downwind, but it's a workhorse and I have full faith in it.

Hope you fellas can get it all figured out. I've been lucky with my motor, and I dread the day when bad things happen...
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Buddy of mine named Anthony down in Mineral is a certified Yamaha mechanic. More than reasonable pricing and always a straight shooter. If you're interested in talking to him let me know, I can put you in touch.

Comment

Possibly. I need a full blown diagnostic shop to do the Sync though. I don't think it's a wrench repair. If he has the gear to do it, I'd be interested.

Coming from my 2000, 225efi, I was spoiled. Heaven only knows how many hours were on that motor it was my guide boat and I pulled it all over god's green earth. I ran it in 100 degree plus days and 10 degree days. Started every time you touched the key and on the first crank. NEVER was in the shop and when I sold it after running it for 2 years in Florida, it still had the original plugs. I wasn't messin with something that wasn't broke!! Yes, it liked it's fuel and oil but it showed up for work every day and never let me down or left me stranded. My current motor was part of the deal when I found the boat.

Comment

Not sure what type of equipment he has, you would have to ask. His family owns a shop in Dumfries and I believe he works at another place down near his house, so he may have access even if he doesn't own the equipment himself. I will pm you his #.

Comment

Here is what I know about starting so far. When you turn the key on the ECU fires the fuel injectors once in preperation for starting. When the ECU senses the starter turning the flywheel it goes into a fixed start mode where the timing, fuel, and spark are preset for starting. Once its running the sensors input data for smooth running. When mine was doing the identical thing it ended up being the injectors flooding. When it does I hold it a WOT and let it crank until it starts. Once started I let it idel. The HPDI DI's start and idel on four cylindes in nutral. If you rev it up in nutral the ECU will drop off two more cylinders. It sounds like crap turning over but it will start and run that way. Thats not the way we should have to start em but thats what I have to do to mine sometimes until I get it figured out as well. Some could be's are the squeeze bulb, the low pressure fuel pumps lesaking fuel into the cylinder block (2 of em), a weak spark (coil or plug resistor), flooding injectors, and or a bad or weak spark plug, dirty butter fly's, and finally the coils under the fly wheel. Simple isnt it lol. Like Eric said, I miss my old Merc XR-4 lol.
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

I'll just stick with my 1991 Rude 70. I disconnected the VRO when I got it because OMC has issues with that VRO and now premix (another PITA) as I tend to run a little "extra" oil and occasionally foul plugs, but better than running lean...lol

Comment

Jim - Seriously, do yourself a favor and call Ed Miller @ 410-375-1638

If you called Yamaha, and were in my area, he is who they would tell you to go see. You can explain your symptoms over the phone. I guarantee he will know whats going on from describing it. He's not a part changer, he's a true wrench, only works on yamaha's, and thats all he's worked on for 15-20yrs.

I promise you he will get you taken care of... Price, that I cannot tell you because I don't know what the issue is.

Comment

As well, his shop has old motors in it, probably some HPDI's as well. If you don't mind parts from spare motors, he has that as well to cut costs (if he has it)

Comment

I will Eric. And thank you. I did turn it in to another shop yesterday down in Richmond. I didn't see your post until this morning. A good wrench is rare these days. The last time I turned it in the computer didn't show any faults so it's going to take a good mechanic that knows how to read between the lines so to speak to nail it down. Thanks again.
                    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X