Cell Phone or Fishfinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phone or Fishfinder

OK after my one trip with Charlie I learned 3 things! (yeah charlie I know I said two but it took me a few days to get the third).

1. a sligshot cast - way cool
    2. a couple really cool holes on the lake (I am sure he is still holding out on some of the best)
    3. most powerfull electronics on your boat could very well be the cell phone vs the fishfinder.

So getting calls with frequent updates on various lake conditions, presentations, temps, etc... seems to be as valuable if not more than what you see on your electronics. Guides like Charlie have a network on the lake working for them, no wonder we are at a disadvantage before we even throw the first cast :-) So years of experiance true, but also years of building contacts on the lake for intelligence!!!!!!!!!

Most of us see after the fact on the boards what was happening while others get info real time.

Anyone up for a email exchange of cell numbers? I will create a spreasheet and email to everyone who participates.
    sigpic
    VAO Points: 40
    VAO Standing: Tied for last place
    2010 cost per fish (est 2010 equipment cost / fish): $10,000.00
    2010 Fish Caught: 0 / 2010 Largest: 0

cell phones

Yes, people who fish any body of water regularly will talk to each other to get quick snapshots of water temperature, bait, active fish etc. But it is ussualy a small group of people, and only helps so much (your sonar is far more important). It really just saves you a 10 minute trip to go figure it out yourself (you still have to be able to actually catch the fish). With that being said, I would never do that during a tournament, and it would really bother me if other people did so (not to mention it is usually a rules violation).

Marine band radios are another device that several of the Striper fisherman use to help each other out... Especially in the bay... there is constant chatter over the radio when you are in the Chesapeake.

I think that MOST tournament fisherman are honest about the way they approach the competition. I have heard of instances of cheating, and it was very ugly... Being banned from every tournament around, total loss of respect etc. etc. etc. Most people don't want to put themselves in that position.
    Last edited by Charlie Bowles; 03-27-2008, 08:33 PM.
    www.hookedonlakeanna.com
    540-287-3591

sigpic

Comment

I just realized that I replied to 2 threds at the same time... The "teaming up in tourneys" and this one... oh well it seems to apply anyway
      www.hookedonlakeanna.com
      540-287-3591

sigpic

Comment

phone vs fishfinder

yeah my question here was not regarding tourneys just in general the power of information from accross a lake vs scanning the waters for it yourself.

Of course what I DO know is you must always question the value of the information you get HEHEHEHE you tell me what you know and I will tell you what I know afterwards.

I think I may have struck a nerve with my question, I did not think it would get this kind of attention. Sorry for those of you who do not know me I am that kid that always said "but why" with every answer. I like learning and look for every resource i can in doing so but also will challange.

OK next subject, please :-)
        sigpic
        VAO Points: 40
        VAO Standing: Tied for last place
        2010 cost per fish (est 2010 equipment cost / fish): $10,000.00
        2010 Fish Caught: 0 / 2010 Largest: 0

Comment

Back before we moved to this site (on the old message board) I asked if there was a channel that fisherman monitored on their VHF radios on the lake. From what I was told, and now from sitting out there with the radio scanning there is none. Conversely like Charlie says, on the bay my radio almost never goes silent for more than a few minutes. It would be nice if we could agree on a VHF or even CB channel to "report" current conditions to other board members on the lake real time. It's totally voluntary. you can give as little or as much info as you like or non at all if you want to be left alone. But I find that when I am having a good day I also enjoy sharing it. I think the cell phone method could get a little cloudy. I envision getting phone calls while at work or something.

Comment

Working...
          X