Motor Guide vs Minn Kota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Guide vs Minn Kota

In the last 3 years I have purchased 2 new boats from BPS in Balt. My first was a brand new Tracker PT 175. It had a bow mount Motor Guide 12v 65lb thrust (I think). A year into it and the foot peddle became difficult to control and eventually would get stuck. I then became frustrated and forced it to move by slamming down on it with my foot. This resulted in a pin snapping. I took it to a fix it guy in Woodbridge. It happened the day before a tourny, so I went to Dick's and bought a new Minn Kota - wow - what a difference. The MG repair was around $300. When I traded in my Tracker for the Nitro this year, I reinstalled the MG and kept the Minn Kota. My Nitro has a MG 24v 70# thrust bow mount. A couple of weeks ago 2 of the 5 speed settings stopped working. I called BPS and they said, bring it in we know what it is as we've had similr problems. It's been there a week and they are still waiting on the part....Can't use my Minn Kota cause I don't want to drill holes in fiberglass. I guess I'd like to ask you guys a couple of questions....

Should MG change their tag line "Never Stops"
    Do you perfer MG to Minn Kota or visa versa
    Are the stock trolling motors put on new boats entry level and I'm getting what I'm paying for?

New stuff that breaks less than a year into it frustrates me....

tight lines
    Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250
    sigpic

Upgrading mine this winter to the MK Terrova 24v 80lb thrust with auto pilot / univ sonar and remote control. My 486 came with standard POC moterguide 12 v troller. While it worked fine for a season (and I beat the H*&%) out of it, it seems flimsy in many ways. Many of the electricial conectors in the foot pedal are exposed, the stearing cable is stiff as a 13 year old in the morning, and it is noisy!

I have seen the MK modle on a number of boats, looks solid and love the features. Imagine being at the back of your boat and with a remote guide you way OR if you want to cast a certian bankline set the speed/angle and let it go.

Yes New holes in the bow, thats the downside, but if your using your boat alot you should have plently of scratches and a few chips by now or you wouldnt be tring hard enough!
    sigpic
    VAO Points: 40
    VAO Standing: Tied for last place
    2010 cost per fish (est 2010 equipment cost / fish): $10,000.00
    2010 Fish Caught: 0 / 2010 Largest: 0

Comment

Minn Kota Maxxum pro. I have used and abused it, and it keeps going. I think MG is a big bunch of junk now days. But that is my thoughts on it

Comment

I have a 28 year old Minn Kota 585 with many, many hours. Had to replace the steering cable one time and that's it. It's showing it's age, been a little noisy from day one but still works. It's getting real difficult finding props for it though.

Comment

I have owned both and I think MK makes a better product. Had to have my MG repaired after about 2 years. Took it to an authorized dealer for repair and had to beg them to repair it. It took about 3 months to get it back. I'll buy MK from now on. Be careful about using the universal sonar. I read it reduces the sensitivity about 50% because the universal transducer is not 'matched' to your sonar unit.
          Kirk
          sigpic

Comment

well i can say the mk #70 with sonar quit on me after 3 tx went and bought anothermk without the sonar and seems to be working ok, a little noisy tho. its all electronic no cable, the cable kind probaly are better and help when trying to get out of real shallow water.
            sigpic
            sigpic

Comment

you get what you play for when you keep the pos that comes with the boat, i used mg for years, decided to switch for no reason, the mk was the biggest pos to ever come down the pike. I have stuck with mg for years now and as long as you buy a solid(metal footpedal) unit it will last, i use, more like abuse mine over 200 days a year and it never stops.
              mike c
              sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

Agreed -

I learned my leason on my next boat purchase to upgrade to the Tour model not the Pro for mg.
                Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250
                sigpic

Comment

You get good and bad in all brands guys it's just the way it is. It's how a product stands up over the long hall. I've been doing this for 27years now (no wise cracks on my age dang-it) I've used MotorGuide for 24 of those years and my next one will be a MG and I think it's fair to say I use my trolling motor quite a bit. The digital Tour model is the way to go. Mike call me!!!!

Tc

Comment

Yes Teddy you are so right. Just like cars, depends on the day of week put together and the time of that day. And the choice or brands that people like. But I do know I was a die hard Lowrance fan for some years. For no other reason than being told that it was the best fishfinder, and seeing that most the pros used them. But I learned a couple years ago that dollar for dollar another brand out performaned Lowrance and out lasted. This can change at any time with any of the electronic equipment. So I learned to be more open to try new brands instead of sticking to one brand for long periods of time. Good fishing to all

Comment

Working...
                    X