First shots with new unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First shots with new unit

Finally picked up a new 899ci HD SI and was able to get out Saturday for a little testing/playing, so I figuerd I'd add a litle life to this board and post a few shots. I still need to do a little tweaking, I think I'm getting some sonar reflection from the boat/ jackplate causing a line in the SI screen. The Humviewer software really amplifies it, so I need to play with that a little more also..

barge

wing dam across from Osborne

screenshot from the unit
    sigpic
    sigpic

Nice, Andy! You're gonna love the detail and resolution in that new HB.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm so far behind the times...
      Wishin' I was fishin'...
      www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

The blurry line on both sides comes from aerated water coming off the hull. The distinct lines on the left side are jackplate echos. Your transducer is on the right side of the jackplate.

You can prevent the jackplate echos by installing a holeshot plate so the sonar pulses will not be reflected by the inside of the left side of the jackplate.
        The alternative to just adding a hotshot plate is to attach the transducer to the center of the bottom of the holeshot plate to get better coverage on both sides.

Humminbird's Side Imaging covers from the water's surface to past vertical on both sides.

The recordings are raw data to the adjusted by the software that is processing it-either the unit or Humviewer.

Comment

BTW, did you exchange the included Compact SI transducer for the HDSI version that will produce sharper images?

Comment

Thanks Wayne! I'm going to add the holeshot plate this week and had already thought about mounting the xdcr to it. Hopefully as you said it'll eliminate that reflection. I hope the turbulence is a little less in that location also.

I did not exchange the xdcr for the HDSI one, I'm using the compact version
            sigpic
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stratos976 View Post
              Thanks Wayne! I'm going to add the holeshot plate this week and had already thought about mounting the xdcr to it. Hopefully as you said it'll eliminate that reflection. I hope the turbulence is a little less in that location also.

I did not exchange the xdcr for the HDSI one, I'm using the compact version
              You will need the wedge to go with that application if you use the Transducer Shield and Saver TM-Csi mount.

The turbulence will be the same. That is determined by your boat speed and the distance between the transducer and hull bottom----slower=less aerated water.

A trolling motor mounted SI transducer does not get the aerated water passing over it to be recorded:

Comment

So it's fairly typical to have some aeration on a transom mounted transducer, just an effect of the install. I don't want to try and acheieve results that just aren't typical

thats a nice image, I assume an example of A TM mounted transducer.
                sigpic
                sigpic

Comment

So it's fairly typical to have some aeration on a transom mounted transducer, just an effect of the install. I don't want to try and acheieve results that just aren't typical

thats a nice image, I assume an example of A TM mounted transducer.
                  Yep, as long as the boat is moving, you will have water filling in behind the boat where the hull was.

Yes, that is a TM mounted SI transducer. I use SI on both ends of the boat.

Comment

One more tip, you can use 800 kHz if you want a little less coverage, less depth capability, but somewhat better images.

You can change the Connected Transducer to Hi-Def Sidescan to get the added 800 kHz. It doesn't affect the 455 kHz performance when you choose that in the Imaging Frequency setting.

Comment

Rocket Science! LOL You writing all this down Jim Whittman?
                      Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne P. View Post
                        One more tip, you can use 800 kHz if you want a little less coverage, less depth capability, but somewhat better images.

You can change the Connected Transducer to Hi-Def Sidescan to get the added 800 kHz. It doesn't affect the 455 kHz performance when you choose that in the Imaging Frequency setting.
                        I thought about doing the HDSI upgrade exchange but, I was a little impatient and just wanted to go use it. That is the difference between the compact SI and the HDSI the ability to use the 800khz correct, that frequency isn't available on the compact xdcr.

Thanks again Wayne, I'll post more pics hopefully this weekend, I was able to relocate the Transducer last night to the center of the holeshot plate I added. with some time off over Thanksgiving and definite plans to fish Anna Saturday I should be able to get a few good shots and recordings to post up.
                        sigpic
                        sigpic

Comment

I thought about doing the HDSI upgrade exchange but, I was a little impatient and just wanted to go use it. That is the difference between the compact SI and the HDSI the ability to use the 800khz correct, that frequency isn't available on the compact xdcr.

Thanks again Wayne, I'll post more pics hopefully this weekend, I was able to relocate the Transducer last night to the center of the holeshot plate I added. with some time off over Thanksgiving and definite plans to fish Anna Saturday I should be able to get a few good shots and recordings to post up.
                          The HDSI transducer is 6" in length and the Compact SI transducer is 4" in length.

The advantage of the HDSI is the longer SI crystals. Those longer SI crystals produce a thinner SI pulse and sharper images.
                          The HDSI will improve any Side Imaging unit even if it only has 455 kHz capability.

My 798ci SI Combo just has 455 kHz capability and when connected to a HDSI transducer it produces very sharp images like this:

Your unit determines the frequencies. Several models have the transducer setting for both Compact Sidescan and Hi-def Sidescan as well as some other transducers.
                          Both transducers have the exact same number of sonar crystals and the exact number of electrical connections.
                          800 kHz works better with the HDSI transducer, but does well with the Compact SI transducer too.
                          I scanned the bridge pilings at Hunter's Landing a couple of years ago with the Compact SI and 800 kHz using one of my 1198's and it displayed crappie schools very well.

Comment

Working...
                          X