Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SKEG troubles and questions

Hi All,

At the FOM on Kerr this last weekend, we used my partners boat and thus mine was left in the parking lot. Well, many of you know the lot at Occoneechee is tight and YUP someone backed into my outboard and knocked a big chunk out of my SKEG. I know its only purpose is to protect the prop and thus your lower unit, so my questions are this:

- anyone know the best way to "fix" this problem? In my research it looks like I can go 2 ways. One, have the lower unit carrier replaced, which can be expensive and not sure if the guy who did it would even have insurance to cover it. This is the way I would like to go as I would like my boat put back in original condition. Now that said, from what I read online, it is quite reasonable to have a new one welded on.

- have any of you had that done and what were your results? Did it last? did it become more vulnerable to failure? Did it look like new? Remember, I care about resale value as well here so any job has to result in "like new" condition, both looks and structural.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

I bought my lower unit from SEI Steve. I do see they carry housing. They will probably be the cheapest around http://www.sterndrive.cc/
    Crank That Jank!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post
      I bought my lower unit from SEI Steve. I do see they carry housing. They will probably be the cheapest around http://www.sterndrive.cc/
      thanks Wayne, but if their insurance is paying, I want OEM parts
      cheers,
      Steve

sigpic

Comment

Alot of people put the plastic covers over them. Cant think of the name. But ive not heard of any negatives. But I would replace the case if thats possible
        sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

Gotcha Steve. Definitely go with OEM. If it was hit hard enough just by backing into it to break off the skeg, it might be in your best interest to get the shaft check as well to make sure it isn't bent. Since its on their coin, I wouldn't skimp at all....
          Crank That Jank!
          sigpic

Comment

Latest update: There is a PA company that comes to the lake every Thursday to pick up lower units that need skeg welding. It would have been 325 dollars to weld, grind and repaint my lower unit. The catch was that as Bob Toller was taking the LU off, when he took the prop off, he found some fishing line (fluro) that had wrapped so tightly around the prop seal, it broke the lip off and was slowly leaking LU oil. So, the same company that does the skeg welding will also swap carriers out, so they will order a new Yamaha carrier for me and switch the gears. My next thing to do is call the insurance company and either call them off or ask them if they cover fishing line ruining the carrier Wish me luck...LOL

I'll be back on the water in 2 weeks apparently....not bad
            cheers,
            Steve

sigpic

Comment

State Farm didnt cover my lower when the seal went out on the Potomac due to line. Had I hit a rock, log etc, then it would had been a different story just sayin lol
              Crank That Jank!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post
                State Farm didnt cover my lower when the seal went out on the Potomac due to line. Had I hit a rock, log etc, then it would had been a different story just sayin lol
                Didn't your momma tell you growing up that if you can't say something positive.........LOL
                cheers,
                Steve

sigpic

Comment

I tried lol....you hit that rock man!!
                  Originally posted by Squire View Post
                  Didn't your momma tell you growing up that if you can't say something positive.........LOL
                  Crank That Jank!
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh and I tried when the ECU went out. I told my agent lighting hit the security pole and it ran down to the boat. No go lol. They did however cover my SS prop few years ago without even looking at the old one....
                    Crank That Jank!
                    sigpic

Comment

what would be the cost difference if you had the OEM replacement done from the accident versus what is being done now? In that instance i believe you would have had the majority if not all this covered.
                      sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

Originally posted by DucknFish View Post
                        what would be the cost difference if you had the OEM replacement done from the accident versus what is being done now? In that instance i believe you would have had the majority if not all this covered.
                        Deductible is 375, about the cost of repairing the SKEG. They won't replace the carrier unless the SKEG is not repairable. Basically, the guy who hit the skeg saved me a LU failure, which probably would not have been covered under warranty with the fishing line problem. So, one could say, getting hit was a good thing. "Maybe" I can get the insurance company to get them to pay for the cost of the SKEG repair and thus get the 375 or so back. That is my angle....I am not interested in a non-OEM replacement, just don't trust enough I guess.
                        cheers,
                        Steve

sigpic

Comment

Im a little lost(which shouldn't be surprisingly) The dude that did the hitting didn't have insurance?
                          Crank That Jank!
                          sigpic

Comment

I went back and re-read post #6. Think Im wif ya now
                            Crank That Jank!
                            sigpic

Comment

Kinda brand new boat with semi new outboard, I be durn if I would have a skeg welded on. Get his insurance carrier to slap a new OEM lower on it, then if you feel, something else needs to be done due to the fact the line cut the seal, get Bob do that part.
                              Crank That Jank!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X