Bolts and Jackplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts and Jackplates

Well, gotta a problem and wondering the root cause. My jackplate bolts on the right side facing motor from rear of boat, keep loosing, especially the bottom right one. I carry a wrench and tighten them down before heading out each time. Well, hit the river 3 days in a row and noticed that the bottom right is now half way out of the hole and bent at a 30 degree angle. None of the other bolts are loose.....

So, best case is this bolt just needs to be replaced, and when it loosened, enuf, it allowed some flex that allowed it to get bent over. I know that engineers allow for flex in high stress things (like airplane wings) as the stiffer something is, the more prone to sudden failure....

That said, any advice on replacement of the bolt and maybe upgrading to higher tencile strength? How about the flexing? Any of yall out there have issues with bolts working loose on the jackplate? I don't have a hydraulic plate, so there is not much backset. Also, the motor is a Verado 4stroke, so it weights about 200lbs more than your typical 2 stroke.

My theory on why this is happening now after 4 years of no problems is that I am now fishing the mighty potomac river and it is MUCH ROUGHER than what I've dealth with at Lake Anna over the years. I have had a couple ride pounding runs and I'm guessing the new stress environment is just harder on the equipment and that I am lucky I found it now...

thanks,
    Steve
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Steve. Check with your buddy mechanic at Anna. He should have some Grade 5 bolts in stainless. I wouldn't let that go too long. That's a lot of weight back there.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    sigpic

Comment

I would use no less than grade 8 bolts. I would also use Loctite on them as well. Your theory as to why they keep coming loose is probably spot on. The rough ride, coupled with the weight of the outboard, and torque load produced by the power plant itself, is more than enough to jar those bolts loose.

If you PM me the bolt specs, I can see if I have the matching stuff at my shop. I use nothing but grade 8 stainless hardware.
      ~Tight Lines~
      www.facebook.com/lane.hariu

sigpic

Comment

Steve i would think that you would want to use grade 8 bolts as well. I would use the Red Loctite and a nut with a nylon collar. This will give you extra holding power so that it will not back out.
        sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

Grade 5 or 8 it is and loctite sounds good. Thanks guys for all the immediate responses. I was amazed as I had really tighted it down with a breakover friday night (yea, saturday was a rough day with the wounded soldiers, but I only had a couple brief moments in it as I didn't want to hurt the one any worst)....hmmmm...

Thanks for the offer Lane, I just don't have access to my boat right now, so hopefully Bob Toller can get the "stock" bolts to replace and then I'll get some grade 8 bolts as a backup if I have anymore problems.....
          cheers,
          Steve

sigpic

Comment

Well, Bob looked at it and turns out the bolt is not bend, it is BROKE and he may have to run it up to a machine shop to drill the chunk out. Now, Interestingly enough, he said loctite can cause problems where you can't get the bolt out later, and thus didn't recommend it......This particular bolt doesn't have a nut, it screws into a receiver hole in the backing plate. Apparently, not an uncommon problem, as Bob is fixing another boat this week with the same problem....whew.....Latest update as I'm writing this as the bolt chunk came right out....no machine shop....

Lastly, just a note on Bob....He is way busy right now and really doesn't have the time to fix it, but he knows I need the boat this weekend, so presto, he is going to take care of it and I'll make sure he gets paid for his "customer first" approach. What is nice about him, is that he is a mobile marine service, aka, he comes to you, so if you have a problem, give him a call....Bob Toller.....1 804 647 7966
            cheers,
            Steve

sigpic

Comment

Steve - do what Dirt and Rick said. Get them replaced w/ grade 8s. Fished a club TX out of HSM last spring. Watched a jon boat tow in a 20' Javelin. Something was odd about the Jav - it didn't have a motor on it. Turns out the dood had mounted a new j/p using wrong (too soft) bolts. He hit one of those famous (infamous??) riva rollers and the motor, j/p and all, shearing off.

peace,
              B
              sigpic

Comment

BTW, have you put a hotfoot in yer bote yet? I wanna drive it again. How fast do you REALLY think it'll go in reverse, WOT?
                sigpic

Comment

if i get on the front deck do you think it can plane in reverse?...lol
                  glad you got it taken care of steve...
                  mike c
                  sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

I always double nut the transom bolts. Since I have started doing this, there is no need to worry about them loosing up. I used to need to maintain them almost every trip, and you are correct it is from the rough water we have. On my previous boat, the bolts got loose and the jp corner dug into the transom. It was only cosmetic, but it was damage none the less.

Comment

Grade 5 or 8 should work fine, with loctite!
                      GET SOME!

Comment

I don't understand why the nuts would loosten, I assume you are useing lock washers. You might want to try some grade 80, stainless steel bolts/nuts with lock washers. It would also be a good idea to use some "locktite". That said, the only problem I ever had like that was back in the 1970's when they didn't build transoms like they do today. Transom problem means no more boat! Good luck.

Comment

I just noticed this post. Its an old one I know but after reading it I am curious? I work with a lot of hardware in my work and I am not aware of anything stronger than a grade 5 in SS. My transome bolts bent too and I replaced them with bolts from catapiler. They arn't SS but they are almost a grade 9 bolt and the strongest over the counter bolts I can find. If there is such a thing as a grade 8 SS I would like to know where to get them for my boat. TKS
                          2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                          2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Yessiree, Jimmy, dems do make grade 8 SS bolts. Look for the triangle and 3 tick marks on da head. It be some harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddd stuff, dem grade 8s.
                            sigpic

Comment

Do not use red locktite in this application. You will need a torch to soften the locktite before you can loosen the nut.

Comment

Working...
                              X