Mohawk Creek - My Wildlife Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mohawk Creek - My Wildlife Journal

I went out and pulled cards from my trail cameras this past weekend. Things are moving along - first bear of the year with a cub, first fawn of the year, VA mountain lion, nice looking bucks etc. Click the thumbnails for a bigger pic.

Even does having a pecking order

Cant tell if she is just a fat slick head, or ready to drop a doe

This is the mountain lion I got a pic of

One of my more decent bucks - he's big and its early in the growing season

The darrk area behind her hip is a cub - nothing else in this field is dark like that, 5 minutes before hand was a pic of a doe staring into the woods where she came out.
    Attached Files

Cool makings on that VA mountain lion
    sigpic

Comment

In the ongoing updates, this week the most noticeable change is more and more fawns are being seen. They are getting bigger and are more capable. Love seeing some good healthy fawns this time of year.
      Attached Files

Comment

A few more pics
        Attached Files

Comment

Younger bucks are looking good - more mature bucks are a little elusive still

Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0382.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	96900

Comment

This doe was a bit nervous, and a few minutes later the sow and her cubs were back for a second time in 10 days or so

Name:	WGI_0238.JPG
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	96901Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI_0239.JPG
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	96902

Comment

I forgot to add this one in, but right in the middle are 2 young turkey poults that I almost stepped on because I didnt see them. The hen was about 25 feet away cutting up and trying to draw me away - now its obvious as to why...

Name:	turkey.jpg
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	96903

Comment

I've actually had the privilege of watching two does go at it like that while on a stand one fall a few years back. Musta gone on like that for 10 minutes. What they were fighting over I have no clue.

Comment

To me, this best part about this weeks updates had nothing to do with the cameras. I have a small pond on my property that is maybe a half to 3/4 acre which is fed by a tiny creek that regularly goes dry. 2 of my cameras are around this pond, when I got to the first camera I heard tons of splashing and squealing. Immediately I thought back to the bears I have seen regularly so I started whistling with no effect. Then I thought about the woods ducks that like to visit - but nope nothing. And then I saw what it was. I had 2 river otter that had taken up residence in the pond. The amazing part is that the nearest body of water is a creek thats a few hundred yards away that is not deep but always has water flowing. Plus its downhill a good ways. The other is a small farm pond that is easily a quarter mile away. I sat and watched them for maybe 20 minutes before I had to move on and get back home. I love these animals and they have plenty of frogs to live off of in this pond.

So now on to some of this weeks pics - I had 610 off one camera alone, mainly due to the salt and mineral pit. In total maybe close to 750 pics this week from 11 cameras.

Name:	WGI_0020.JPG
Size:	737.7 KB
ID:	96912

Name:	WGI_0425.JPG
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	96913

Name:	WGI_0599.JPG
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	96914

Name:	WGI_0504.JPG
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	96915

Comment

More...

Name:	WGI_0502.JPG
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	96916

Name:	WGI_0167.JPG
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	96917

Name:	WGI_0345.JPG
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	96918

Name:	WGI_0108.JPG
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	96919

Comment

Last ones....

Name:	WGI_0031.JPG
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	96920

Name:	WGI_0086.JPG
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	96921

Name:	WGI_0039.JPG
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	96922

Comment

Thats a nice looking buck Brian. Also, is that a picture of an Owl on the 9:37pm photo on the 4th?
                        sigpic
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey Lee - thats what I think it is - I checked the weather from that date and I think it was raining - which stinks cause that would have been a cool pic

Comment

Nice looking buck B! He will definitely make your trigger finger itch this Fall!
                            Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Here a re a lot of updates, I have switched the mass updates to be by animal as I have (what I think) are some interesting photos from my game cameras.

Here are the turkey. A lot more turkey activity. One thing I did was let a front plot get thick this summer and not focus on the food plot until next year. The crickets, spiders and bugs get thick and the turkey love it - its like a buffet for them.

Along a dry creek bed they love to dust up

This hen was shaking off a little morning rain shower

Young tom showing potential

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information