Lime for food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime for food plot

I recently had a soil sample done on my durano plot the ph is 6.0 and I need it 6.5. How much lime do I need to apply to get it to 6.5?

Hard to say. How big is the area?
    sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

About an acre. 8 tenth to be exact.

Comment

I sent a soil sample to the whitetail institute. It cost me like $12 and they gave me the exact amounts I needed of lime/nitrogen/potash, etc for a 1 acre plot, then I just had to multiply by my size and it gave me what I needed for the size of my plot.

Comment

minimum - 250 Lbs. pr acre / maximum - 500 Lbs. per acre - not text book ... just what I do on the farm

Comment

Ok thanks Bay Beagle! Extension agent recommended 3.2 ton an acre! I almost fell off my rocker!! I'm not feeding cows or baling it for hay.... Just a clover patch for the deer!!!

Comment

Mine needed 250lbs for .6 acre, so Beagle was about spot on. Be advised, at some point 31Airborne will be on here to make fun of you for making a food plot.

Comment

Anything is better than nothing. It takes years to go through the complete cycle to fully work. Better to start low. You can always add more
                sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

And there is a difference in pelletized lime and powdered in terms of how quickly it breaks down etc.

Comment

It takes 7 months for lime to completely change the PH of the soil - Best time to plant in Virginia?????????

week of the state fair

Comment

I bet ive done 10000 soil tests. It takes longer than 7 months. As long as you do everything around the application correct you can apply it anytime.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ideal PH level in soil is 6-6.5. Thats ideal for just about any crop/plant.It could take up to 2 years for the PH level to get right after applying lime/nutrients. Fall is the best time to lime. If your soil test shows that your soil is high in magnesium, you will want to use Calcite. Changing the soil PH is a slow process.
                        Crank That Jank!
                        sigpic

Comment

I laid the lime to mine last month. My stuff seems to be growing OK, I think I'll wait about a year and test it again. Will probably add more fertilizer next spring. I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to plots, so I'm bumbling along and figuring it out as I go.

Comment

Samples once a year is perfect. .just stick to the basics. This is dirt 101 stuff. Dont over think it.
                            sigpic

Comment

One last question... what kinda lime did you put out.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information