Steel shot in older shotguns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel shot in older shotguns?

OK Gun guru's. I have my Dad's older Belgium Browning A5 3' magnum and have a duck hunting trip scheduled for this coming January. Been reading up a little on the use of the current steel shot requirement in waterfowl hunting. Heard everything from it's Ok to don't do it...could split or bulge barrel. Figured a lot of peeps on here that know their stuff when it comes to this.....so let it fly. Thanks in advance.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    sigpic

What choke is the barrel, Larry? If its a full choke I wouldn't even think about it. I don't think the older guns had interchangeable chokes. I would be hesitant if it is a modified or improved cylinder. The steel does not deform like the lead used to in the barrel.
    Kirk
    sigpic

Comment

I've got a Belgium Browning in 16 ga, circa 1950's. I've shot a pile of steel thru it with no issues.

Comment

I'd be more concerned w/ the energy/pressures generated by modern powders than I would w/ steel shot. Like Charlie, I've put many steel shot rounds thru a well-aged Browning A5 without issue.
        sigpic

Comment

Sent ya a PM bud.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger374V View Post
            Sent ya a PM bud.
            Got it Jeff. Thanks man.
            2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
            2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
            2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
            2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
            sigpic

Comment

Um, sorry dad, but I've already used your A5 for geese. Knocks em down good too, when i hit em.....
              sigpic
              sigpic

Comment

Lol Lee

Comment

www.browning.com/support/date-your-firearm.html

For the A5 I inherited from my grand dad, I put it in a wall display case and got the historical letter from Browning, and framed it next to the case. It tells me he bought it at Montgomery Wards (the original in downtown Baltimore) for I think $50, at work so its not in front of me.

You hunting over this way? If so, I'll let you borrow a maxus or whatever... don't beat up on that fine gun, the steel isn't the best for it. Most of those A5's were fixed full chokes anyways.

Comment

Working...
                  X