Bow hunting for Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow hunting for Bear

I have been trying to get a bear for the last three years with a bow. I know that they are eating on those poke berries when bow season comes in. Does anyone out there have any solid tips for harvesting a bear with a bow?

none... All my bear seem to disappear by bow season - but then again my bears are more transient then anything

Comment

what county?????

Comment

Originally posted by Goodman View Post
        what county?????
        Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Striper View Post
          none... All my bear seem to disappear by bow season - but then again my bears are more transient then anything
          Thats prolly why I only see sign...

Comment

Find the thickest patch of "poke" berries ( I call em spice berries) and clear out a few shooting lanes around the tree you'll be up on. They will come to you, but they will likely eat on one Bush......then leave. I've only had one good shot at one in the last 5 years of bow hunting.
            2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
            2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
            2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
            2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
            sigpic

Comment

Good luck on the bear hunting. Until the VDGIF gets there act together and lets you bait the chances of killing a bear with a bow are just about nill. Superhard to pattern, tend to just rome around. I've had one legit shot at a bear in bow season in the last 15 years and they are plentifull where I hunt. We see plenty but hard to get in range.
              One Lap Race..

Comment

Thanks everyone. First I would like to ask dirtman what fishermen are after. I failed philosophy. Second, I was ready to jump all over you Fish 4-5 about baiting. Then I started to thinking to myself if it was any different than putting out doe estrous during the rut (I may have to rethink my stance on baiting. Maybe a thread on that should be started). Especially since I can not seem to harvest a bear no matter how much homework and fieldwork I do. Anyways, the good thing is that whitetail season coincides with black bear.....
                Thanks again guys.

Comment

I grew up in Madison. What part do you hunt in? I would try to find a place to hunt near Criglersville, Etlan or Sperryville. I have a few friends that have had success bear hunting in those areas. My one buddy always sees a few each year that come and feed in the corn fields in the evenings and at night. They are already seeing them in the corn now, and my Dad has a few near his house that show themselves every few weeks. Should be a good year for bear hunting given the number of sightings we have had. We even had one in our community (in Greene) a month ago that was tipping over everyone's trash cans.
                  2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner
                  2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Big Bass

Comment

I'm with you on the baiting (for bear), but as long as "bear hunters" (with hounds) have the political power they maintain, you can forget it. Here in Rockingham, which leads the state in harvest and population, they seem to almost outnumber deer. Still, thanks to political action from these groups, hunting seasons for them get more conservative every year. I see tons every year, but because bear season doesn't overlap deer season, I can't shoot them. If your area is like mine, find the deepest, steepest, nastiest place in the mountains you can find, and you will find them. Good luck!

Comment

I'm sure baiting for bear would strike a nerve in some. I myself would probably never take the time. That said, I also have spent a lot of time in the woods that are infested with bears while bow hunting. I would never take a unethical shot at anything and if you ever watched bears they tend to move around a lot. If you watch the hunters up north, getting them to hold up on bait seems to be a way to get a legitament shot. I honestly don't think archers will make a dent in the bear population baiting or not.

On another note many of the game laws we have on the books are so skewed it has got to the point of insanity. I started looking into duck hunting regs and blind laws. It was rediculous. Just tell me how many ducks I can shoot between what dates and without lead shot. And don't forget to pay the fees.....I'm good with that. In my opinion many of the "Game Laws" are in place to justify jobs, not neccesarily in place to protect the resource. Again just my 2 cents
                      One Lap Race..

Comment

You can always use Mc Donalds French fri cover sent lol
                        2017 Ironman winner
                        2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

well, speaking of scent...... Code Blue makes a bear "attractant" and I am pretty sure that its legal (PLEASE correct me if not). Anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

Working...
                          X