Can someone explain the VA bag limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain the VA bag limits

on deer in layman's terms to a new VA hunter. In MD it's pretty simple you can kill as many does as you want for the most part and you can get up to 4 bucks, one in each weapon's season and a bonus stamp that can be used in any of them. Reading Va's bag limit it is more confusing to me. The main thing I am confused about is the either sex tag/hunt days. So what about the other days that are not listed as either sex? Are you able to kill just does? Just bucks? or what. I see you can kill up to 6 deer in a season as long as 3 or more are does? Correct?

East of the Blue ridge Mtns you can take 6 deer a year with only 3 bucks per year. 2 deer per day. Either sex days are just that. Doe or buck. If you hunt in a county where either sex isnt in then you can only harvest bucks. If you are in a either sex day county but if you have already harvested your 3 bucks then you can only harvest doe. You can get "Bonus" tags which allows you to harvest more deer once you fill your previous tags out. The Bonus tags are good for only doe. I hunt in orange and culpeper countys where its either sex all season.
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...tions/deer.asp
    Crank That Jank!
    sigpic

Comment

Right got that, I read that link prior to posting. I guess my main question and maybe it is dumb but it is not explained there, days that are not either sex, are just doe only? So opening day of gun season is not listed as a either sex day so what can I legally take?

Comment

If its not either sex day then you can only take a buck.
        Crank That Jank!
        sigpic

Comment

Ok, got it. Thanks. That's just odd to me. In Md we are use to them wanting us to take more does than bucks.

Comment

Scroll down on that link I put up and find your county. It tells you just below your color what you can and cannot take
            Crank That Jank!
            sigpic

Comment

all depends when the year ends when they tally up the totals for each harvest. some counties have abundance of doe some do not thus needing the either sex days to thin them out
              Crank That Jank!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information