No announcement yet.

2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High 50's and 60's with rain this past weekend - overcast and in the 70's today - supposedly 80 tomorrow and then dropping temps and rain/T-storms on Wed

Really hoping this weather balances out before the rut or we can see another trickle rut and just a mess this season

Comment

Had a good outing in Powhatan on opening day. Had a spike and doe walk in together, only the spike made it out. A nice 2.5-year old 8-point came through on the same trail, but I let him walk, which was not too easy. I also hunt in Augusta County where there has been increased bear activity. I'm not the biggest fan of bear meat and I also do not want to pay for the expensive taxidermy (at this time). Are there groups or individuals out there who we be interested in the meat or hide if a bear was taken for management purposes? I definitely would not want it to go to waste. Thanks!

Comment

Check hunters for the hungry for the meat

Comment

No organization will take bear meat due to trichinosis. Already checked.
          2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
          2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
          2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
          2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
          "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
          sigpic

Comment

Good to know thanks Larry

Comment

Personally, I don't mind bear meat so I can find a reason to drive to powhatan...

Now for rut report...took my uncle out hunting with me yesterday and was glad to do so (hasn't been hunting in 4-5 years). He shot a nice doe. His intended target was the nice 8 pointer in front of the doe but he put wrong dot on him (crossbow) and ended up shooting over the buck and took out the doe. Well, two things...buck was with two does and after I tracked her down she was very much in estrous as she smelled quite a bit. This was in Louisa and while I'm sure rut is not full on its definitely ramping up. I found a spot out there that had 6 rubs/scrapes within a 50 yard stretch of trail.

Comment

Thanks for the update - I think there are some doe that have come in early - just like some bass spawn early and some later

Comment

Reason I try to get you to stay in the stand all day...:cool:
                  Originally posted by Striper View Post
                  Thanks for the update - I think there are some doe that have come in early - just like some bass spawn early and some later
                  Crank That Jank!
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah I am certain that they aren't all coming in once. Just like any other animal I think some are early some late...I was always under the impression that the younger ones come in earlier but what he got yesterday was a very mature doe with what was a mature buck. I guess that's not always the case.

Comment

My buddy Ryan saw a nice buck Saturday morning that was standing over a bedded doe in a field as he was riding down the road. It was still dark but he drove back to check it out. I thought it was early but I guess she could have been in heat and he was tending her. Interesting because I haven't seen much rut activity yet where I'm hunting.
                      Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Have not seen any rut activity, but we have seen the six pointer that my brother shot this am acting weird and searching a couple of times near where we park, like he was looking for a hot doe in the area. So far, we have a doe and that 6 ptr. in the freezer. Things are about to heat up if we ever get back to some cold nights and this warm weather goes away.
                        Last edited by dirtman; 10-15-2014, 07:39 AM.
                        2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
                        2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
                        2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
                        2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
                        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                        sigpic

Comment

I saw a buck chasing a doe last night on my way back to the house. Not sure how big because it was dark but could tell the 2nd deer had its head down and was noticeably bigger than the front deer. Looked like a chase to me.
                          Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Pleanty of Rubs and scrapes in P.W and Fairfax Counties. Depending on ratio bucks last week breaking out of Bach groups w/ the Mature Bucks actually waiting for that first doe. Some giants on trail cam but no actual pushing seen. Some are claiming to seeing chase but all young 1.5 - 2.5 yr olds. Always see them mid october wandering thru doe groups but not pushing.Little earlier activity so far this year as far as the begining of the phases but thinking it will just be as spread out as it has been for the last few years.

Comment

It's on here in Montgomery Cty. Some serious chasing going on all over. Every buck I've seen the past 2 weks had big, full necks. A couple of bad traffic accidents caused by deer encounters. Y'all be careful!
                              sigpic

Comment

Chased one for 3-400 yards the other day got my nose all up in it, but she wasn't ready and I got smacked lol
                                2017 Ironman winner
                                2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Working...
                                X