2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishinVa89 View Post
    Personally, I don't mind bear meat so I can find a reason to drive to powhatan...

Now for rut report...took my uncle out hunting with me yesterday and was glad to do so (hasn't been hunting in 4-5 years). He shot a nice doe. His intended target was the nice 8 pointer in front of the doe but he put wrong dot on him (crossbow) and ended up shooting over the buck and took out the doe. Well, two things...buck was with two does and after I tracked her down she was very much in estrous as she smelled quite a bit. This was in Louisa and while I'm sure rut is not full on its definitely ramping up. I found a spot out there that had 6 rubs/scrapes within a 50 yard stretch of trail.
    If I "happen" to shoot a bear.....any chance you'd want to meet me 1/2 way between Warrenton and your place to give you the meat?
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    sigpic

Comment

Sure I do some work in Fredericksburg so that shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by fishinVa89 View Post
        Sure I do some work in Fredericksburg so that shouldn't be an issue.
        Excellent ..... I may be in touch.
        2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
        2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
        2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
        2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
        sigpic

Comment

More brown down on the shore.... 115lb field dressed doe, dropped her Sunday morning around 7:15 a.m., she ran about 40yds and did the death dance.

I had just lowered the bow down the rope around 8a.m. to climb down... as I got on the climbing sticks I hear the infamous leave crunching and there is another monster doe 10yds away.... So as not to blow the stand I stood there hugging the tree... she just stood there for what seemed like forever. I grabbed the rope that the bow was still attached too shaking it in the leaves to try and spook her without me getting busted and she walked up to it to investigate what it was... I threw a piece of bark on her and she still just stood there... finally she walked off after about 10minutes... my arms were dying for holding my big buns for so long...

I had just moved that stand to this location Saturday morning... woohoo!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	blood.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	96845

Rut is hitting hard on the shore. I shot a decent buck last night chasing a doe hard. He came running in following her and she had her tail up dancing it around teasing him. He stood at 20yds but looking straight on making a scrape. Once he turned broad side I popped him. On a bad note, I didn't find him yet, blood is unreal then it turns to drips... I have a blood tracking dog coming here at 7:30a.m.

I'm not sure how to post vid's from the trailcam but I texted them to a few members... the day before, which was my wifes bday, almost same exact time a true giant I have no pic's of was chasing a doe in the same spot... Out of all of those trail cam images, he is by far the biggest... If I get last nights buck today or not, I have a bonus tag anyways from taking so many does with my bow...

Exciting year for me.

The pic is the last blood puddle I found before it got too dark.,.. ran into the thickest stuff possible. I think it's called devils walking sticks, tree's like 1" thick, 6" apart with thorns all over them.. uugghh...

Comment

Seeing the deer dead on the highways now. Still haven't seen any hard chasing yet. I'm hoping the cooler temps we are getting the next few days will get the big boys going. Hunting hard this weekend!
              Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

I got him, he's at butcher and will be caped...

Going out this afternoon.. I have a bonus tag to use :)

Comment

Glad you found it

Comment

Here is EJP's buck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6481.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	96846
                    sigpic
                    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Thanks dude.. you can see we had to turn him over if you look close, the fox or coyotes took his opposite side rib cage off last night. I'm going dog hunting soon I think, we have ton's of them here.

He dressed at 175lbs with that side missing, so I'd say 180lbs dressed if he was all together. Big corn fed boy. He isn't wide, but his bases were huge. There was 9 scoreable points on him, as he has two weird twisty things coming off of his bases that are about 1 1/2-2". Not a B&C by anymeans, but my biggest bow buck, and it was exciting to see him all rutted up and trying to tend to that doe so hard.

I did peg him in the liver, not proud. Even worse was me trying to track him after a 1/2hr thinking I double lunged him, and there was ton's of blood... so I am the reason he ran so far, I jumped him.

Comment

Main thing is you got your hands on em and some meat was saveable. Nice job. Congrats
                        Crank That Jank!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X