2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Lets kick 2014 off with your observations from the field.

Reports from two good sources - young bucks have been nose down trailing deer and pushing them hard. Now its way early for the rut but obviously mother nature can always have a few oddities and we all know to expect some variances. Just really didn't expect to see this from two different location in Goochland county. Other thing is rubs and scrapes in these areas have just popped up overnight this week - activity is certainly on the rise right now.

Have you guys seen any activity.

If you arent a member and want to share your observations, email me at [email protected]
    Last edited by Brian; 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM.

I watched a good size buck trail and catch up to a small buck friday. Once he csught him they circled each other 4 or 5 times then the smaller one bolted and the bigger one was on his butt after him.
    sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

Pulled my cards before heading in to the stand for an afternoon hunt, deer are certainly more active this past week. Mature and young bucks as well as doe hitting a community scrape in daylight and night hours. Tonight there was heavy feeding traffic in the oaks and in to the food plot. Was good to see a lot of activity on opening day. this front certainly had the deer feeding a little earlier than normal with temps dropping.

From Goochland along the James, several nice buck still in a loose bachelor group with a solid mature 8 pointer peeling off and following a yearling doe - nothing more than some light like tending grunts.

Comment

Here are the day time checking out my mock scrape - this is the third year this scrape has been active

Comment

Video #2 Doe Checking out Scrape

Comment

Same mock scrape from previous season - deer will continually hit the same community scrape - you just have to keep it active. This is just from a different angle with the camera

Comment

Had two bucks - could clearly see them to determine age or size - feeding in towards me on an oak flat. The one buck kept trying to push the other off a few times. Wish OI could have seen them clearly to know the age etc. The bucks over the weekend were most likely 1.5 year olds still in loose bachelor groups.

Comment

I have see one rub and that's about it. I have heard from a friend of mine that he saw a nice buck mounting a doe already during a drive down a road. However knowing this guy, a big blow hard, I'm not sure if I believe him.

Comment

My son saw a group of bucks behind my house Monday evening so some are still in their bachelor groups.
                  Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Trail cameras still showing younger bucks in loose bachelor groups. The bucks and doe are still crushing all the acorns - its allowing my food plot to come in nicely though. Still seeing some mature bucks with a very young buck hanging around but I cant see that lasting.

I did get a series of pics of twins still nursing from a doe

Comment

Havent been out too much because work has just been beyond dumb...

Lot's of small bucks, have not seen one of those bruisers that I had on film all summer.

2 dead doe's total.

Lots of activity in the mornings and evenings in the CRP.

I'm going out tonight to try and arrow one last doe before the rut... or Early muzzle loader kicks in this week. After that I'm just going to wait until it gets cooler. Almost all of the corn is cut except one 30acre or so parcel and it's killing me as the tracts around it look like a mega deer highway but I don't have permission to hunt that tree line.

I havent put bait out in several weeks at the two bait stations as they just weren't paying any attention to it except once a week Turkey Foot would come in the middle of the night, there is just too many acorns right now.

I did go tree rat hunting, shot 1 and it was full of warbler fly larvae so I am waiting until it gets colder for that too, as that just about made me puke..

Quail starts Nov 1st and I can't wait because there must be 10,000 of those things around here.

Hoping the rut really makes those big boys come back around... disappointing too see those good ones all summer and then they vanish once season opens up and all I see are little basket racks.

Sika are in full rut, co-worker went last week and saw tons and shot a small stag and a hind.

Comment

Sika are pretty sweet!

Comment

Things are pretty slow going in Augusta County for me. Four outings so far have only yielded 3 sightings, none of which had horns. Trail cameras are indicating that the bear activity on the farm I am hunting has drastically increased, and the deer activity is declining. Coupled with windy, rainy days, just hasn't been a good first week for this guy.

Comment

Bear will certainly have an impact - there certainly needs to a balance between predators and prey - but might be time to look at tagging a bear for sure.

Comment

Saw the first scrapes of the season behind my house. It's under a tree that used to get hit every year but hadn't the last 2. Glad to see some sign again this year! Not much for rubs yet though but I am just staying on the edges.
                              Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X