No announcement yet.

My 2014 Deer Season Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been out five times. Got busted once during an a.m. hunt and after that I haven't seen squat. Squirrels have even been relatively quiet. I have two absolute wall hangers on my property but only have them on cams. It is a little encouraging though my dad reported that the bigger of the two was out feeding in field this evening 10 minutes before dark. Now only if I had been out there instead of softball...

Comment

Pulled all my cards and made a quick loop around before heading to the stand yesterday afternoon. Noticed about 10 -12 new rubs since Monday afternoon and 1 new scrape. Saw a couple does and had my first encounter with a decent buck. Was right at dark, he was on the prowl with his nose to the ground, never once stopping to browse. He kinda flanked me by about 60 yards, so I hit him with a series of grunts, he stopped and worked his way around down wind. Game Over!!! As much as I am a spaz about scent free, sometimes is just doesnt matter. He blew(sounded like a horse) once and then eased on off. Never got a clear view of just how big(or small) he was, just caught glimpses of antlers. BUT.... that is an improvement from what I had been seeing.

After viewing my pics..... I am still getting more photos of hunting dogs than Bucks...UGGGGGGGGG!

Eddie

Comment

Today I got out to the property about 11AM and figured I would hunt till dark. It quickly felt like amateur hour after checking all my cameras. One of those hubtd where it felt like everything you did was dumb and noisy.

Got settled in to my stand and started to go through cards from my cameras and just relaxed. This is one of my favorite thibgs to do - its like Christmas for adults. Lots of good info on the cameras. Found a few bucks I had not seen before - and found a new funnel that should pay off.

A few other things - tons of daytime deer. So as much as I am hunting, I know that I am not pressuring the deer and pushing them nocturnal. Next - my deer are much more active in the food plot and not so much on acorns. They are still feeding on both but a very clear change in patterns has been made. What are your deer doing - some of you dont know, do you? Time to think about making a strategic change. Also no real change in doe behavior yet. We have all probably seen an increase in deer activity - I.e. dead deer along the road. But I dont see anything unusual just yet. My guess is a halloween rut again.

Lastly, a year or two ago Dirtman had me help him with his signature line - I would suggest going and reading it.... very quickly today my hunt felt highly disorganized - but shortly after settling in, a beautiful hawk came flying down the access road and landed in a tree 25 yards away. He began calling and looking for a meal - next he flew straight at me and landed on a dead branch 15 feet away at eye level. We watched each other for a few minutes before he moved on. Then a nut hatch landed on the armrest to my ladder stand and hopped around - completely unaware of what I was. It forced all the stress right out - my point about Larry's signature line is that we need to realize there is more to witness and experience than just the act of hunting. We hunters get to see so much more than those that don't hunt - but only if we stop to take it in. Plus its up to us to expose others to these sights and experiences.

Ok back to the hunt.....

Comment

I totally agree with Brian. In today's hustle and bustle world people don't stop to notice nature. As hunters we see it at its finest. Its something I use to educate my nieces and nephew and soon enough my own child. It only gets better as weather turns colder and holiday rushes begin. Sitting in the woods during pre dawn hours is the best way to enjoy a black Friday. Its the quietest place.

Comment

Originally posted by Striper View Post
            Today I got out to the property about 11AM and figured I would hunt till dark. It quickly felt like amateur hour after checking all my cameras. One of those hubtd where it felt like everything you did was dumb and noisy.

Got settled in to my stand and started to go through cards from my cameras and just relaxed. This is one of my favorite thibgs to do - its like Christmas for adults. Lots of good info on the cameras. Found a few bucks I had not seen before - and found a new funnel that should pay off.

A few other things - tons of daytime deer. So as much as I am hunting, I know that I am not pressuring the deer and pushing them nocturnal. Next - my deer are much more active in the food plot and not so much on acorns. They are still feeding on both but a very clear change in patterns has been made. What are your deer doing - some of you dont know, do you? Time to think about making a strategic change. Also no real change in doe behavior yet. We have all probably seen an increase in deer activity - I.e. dead deer along the road. But I dont see anything unusual just yet. My guess is a halloween rut again.

Lastly, a year or two ago Dirtman had me help him with his signature line - I would suggest going and reading it.... very quickly today my hunt felt highly disorganized - but shortly after settling in, a beautiful hawk came flying down the access road and landed in a tree 25 yards away. He began calling and looking for a meal - next he flew straight at me and landed on a dead branch 15 feet away at eye level. We watched each other for a few minutes before he moved on. Then a nut hatch landed on the armrest to my ladder stand and hopped around - completely unaware of what I was. It forced all the stress right out - my point about Larry's signature line is that we need to realize there is more to witness and experience than just the act of hunting. We hunters get to see so much more than those that don't hunt - but only if we stop to take it in. Plus its up to us to expose others to these sights and experiences.

Ok back to the hunt.....
            Thanks Brian. The older I get the more I realize that quote has a very important meaning. It's really hard for people to understand what kind of joy I get just from sitting in a treestand or standing in a boat and observing all that mother nature has to offer. Shooting a deer or catching a bass is a plus, but not a necessity anymore to me like it used to be.
            2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
            2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
            2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
            2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you maybe onto something. Courios of how the land lays. Generally don't focus on primary food plots do to the feeding habits tend to be early or late. Late is ok because I can be in stand waiting but early I'm afraid to move them out. I like setting in travel areas from food plots to bedding areas.
              2017 Ironman winner
              2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

So if striper has good activity in his plots im guessing im about a week ahead of him.
                sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

Originally posted by skeet1 View Post
                  Sounds like you maybe onto something. Courios of how the land lays. Generally don't focus on primary food plots do to the feeding habits tend to be early or late. Late is ok because I can be in stand waiting but early I'm afraid to move them out. I like setting in travel areas from food plots to bedding areas.
                  I am with you Carl. I have no way to get in without bumping deer from the food areas or in transitioning to bedding areas. I am just better off getting in around 8:30AM or later.

Today I ended up having 3 deer come in - all were yearlings. I had a button buck come in and take the same trail as others which is about 5 feet off my ladder stand, through some thick stuff. This button was one of the set of twins I have been seeing for several months. The doe stayed over in the scrub pines and cedars. He stayed in the plot for a few minuted and then worked off. The adjoining land owner was out on a four wheeler and bumped him and the doe back over to me as they fed towards his fields. They wanted in that field no mater what. The button fed back through a second time before heading off to the fields.

Within a few minutes a second button buck came in from the opposite direction, did the same thing and then took off on an almost identical path. I was hoping to tag a doe today but didnt have anything but these three yearlings come through.

A few other thoughts based on the cameras and what I saw.

The mature doe, for the most part, have clearly booted off this years offspring. I still have one doe and fawn that loosely stay together. The twins I have been seeing used to stick close together, but even they arent afraid to stay separated as they feed in different directions. Also I am assuming the other land owner has driven his four wheeler around his fields at 5PM before as it has happened to me one other Saturday - plus these deer didnt really seem to care too much. I guess they knew his pattern, plus these were yearling which havent been to skittish to begin with.

Comment

Here is tyodays map

Red circles are my mock scrapes
                    Star is my primary stand
                    I shaded the previous deer movements so that you can see those

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	I_00008.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	919.5 KB
ID:	96856 I had a little luck with mock scrapes this year. How did your season end Striper?

Comment

This was a Powhatan pic. I never saw him in the day time but had numerous pics in the early AM

Comment

Working...
                        X