deer update from Montgomery County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deer update from Montgomery County

I don't hunt any more and I know I've been more of a distraction than a help when it comes to the bait plots discussion but I do have fond memories of hunting. Hopefully the things I'm seeing here will help y'all out a lil bit.

Observations: 1) The deer have started to turn grey and the fawns are fast losing their spots. I'd say about 1/3 of the deer I've seen in the past week or so are starting to grey up. 2) The deer are very skinny. Lotsa rib cages showing. I spoke to our Army staff biologist about this the other day. he said this is a function of last year's dry summer. The lack of rain killed the acorn crop and acorns are what the deer eat to get fat. There's no shortage of ground forage for them here but it doesn't make up for what they're missing from acorns. The good news is we've had plenty of rain this summer and the acorns are nice and plump. 4) Saw 2 bucks (2 very nice 8-points, btw) this AM. They had no felt on their antlers. Somebody doing some rubbing somewhere. 5) Most of the fawns born this year appear to have survived. Many sets of twins and even one set of triplets in our neighborhood herd. The abundance of undergrowth has helped the fawns grow fast but they are a lil on the skinny side. Acorns will help that. 6) Lots more daytime feeding going on over the past 2 weeks or so. Seems like it was an overnite thing - deer everywhere in the middle of the day and they're feeding hard.

We had a lot of road strikes this year. Sheriff's office says deer strikes are up all over SW VA. This summer was especially bad. There was a period in June and July where I'd see a deer carcass every day. Can't imagine what it's gonna be like when the rut kicks in.

Happy baiting,
    B
    sigpic

Our numbers are up here in Floyd also. I'm seeing more deer than I have in several years.

31 - If you really want to see some deer, get the security guys to take you around at night. I used to see some flat out massive deer there where you work when I was doing security over there.

Comment

Been there, Charlie. Some beasties out there inside the wire.
      sigpic

Comment

Acorns are great for fattening up the deer and for great overall heard health but a bumper crop of em can make hunting down right hard as the deer don't have to move very much.

Comment

We have been seeing a fair amount of deer this year. Several of the bucks we let go last year are still around. Hoping this will be a good season! Getting our bait plots going now!
          Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Slim Jim season just around the corner. :)
            Crank That Jank!
            sigpic

Comment

Four more deer strikes this morning alone, all between 8 and 10 on a 1-mile stretch of US 460. Buzzards are getting fat today. .30-minivan 4, deer 0.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 31Airborne View Post
                .30-minivan 4, deer 0.
                LOL
                Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

deer are greying up fast here. they're also enjoying this year's crop of acorns. I have a number of large oaks that are dropping them at a pretty good clip. deer are camped out underneath. nothing scares them away. walked up to one last nite, got within 10 feet. she just turned, looked at me, then went back to her chow. a couple of yearling bucks have been coming around the past few days, mostly in the evenings. no chasing that I can discern.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X