Feral Hogs / Wild Boar in VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Hogs / Wild Boar in VA

Had one of my partners at work, guy lives in Goochland, tell me his dogs went nuts on Sunday barking and he let them loose. They went tearing across the property and he went after them to see what they were chasing a wild hog through the woods. He was able to recall the dogs before they got hurt. Thats the last thing I want to see in Goochland and Powhatan.

So today he and I were looking up the DGIF number for reporting sightings etc. and came across this fact/statement

If feral hogs are such a problem then why is the DGIF not doing more to encourage hunting of them?

The recreational hunting of feral hogs does not control populations, just like hunting does not effectively control coyote populations. It is estimated that 70% of a feral hog population must be harvested every year to continue reducing the population size. In wild, free-roaming populations of feral hogs, achieving this goal is virtually impossible.

Rule .303 works here, too
    sigpic

Comment

So the 17 year old that shot the 500+ pounder (waynes relative) was on the local radio today. They asked if he was going to eat it. He said that after talking with several people "in the know" that a boar like that would release so much testosterone into the muscle that it would be super gamey. Well that would suck - but I bet the little tiny ones would be good!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Teeth 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	96953Click image for larger version

Name:	pistol%20hog.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	586.8 KB
ID:	96954I've shot and ate them in AR, GA and SC. They are not very good. Much different from the pork we are used to from the store or from local farms. We got to where we would just make sausage out of them. This black one I whacked at about 300 yards with a .308 175gr matchking. The other one I shot in the face with a 9mm Beretta at about 15 feet.

Comment

Plus.....I think they would be full of a lot of different parasites.
          2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
          2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
          2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
          2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
          "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
          sigpic

Comment

Charlie - how good was the sausage?

Comment

Edible, but not what I'd call good. You can add enough sausage seasoning to a skunks a$$ and it's edible. Last one I killed I had it ground and used it to supplement my dog food. The dogs didn't complain at all.

Comment

Thats what I was afraid of Charlie, but still want to hunt them

Comment

They're a ball to hunt. I went one time on a hound hunt and it was a blast. They were trying to get me to kill one with a knife. The 9mm shot was close enough to suit me. I've cheated the reaper enough times that it's not on my to do list anymore.

Comment

For what it's worth...last summer while on the 95 heading north towards Ashland I passed what appeared to be a dead one on the side of the road. After some deductive reasoning I was almost certain that it was one. I went back to the spot shortly there after and was going to pull off the side of the road to check it out and snap some pics to send to dgif biologist I know only to find it had been picked up already. If it were a dog more than likely it would not have been picked up just like any other regular piece of roadkill. Was too small to be a bear right there near Elmont exit.

Comment

I can honestly say, the ones we kill in Culpeper are tasty as hell.;)
                      Crank That Jank!
                      sigpic

Comment

I was hunting swamp hogs. I'd say ones raised in the woods have a totally different diet. Would make a big diff.

Comment

So, my experience w/ the culinary aspects of feral hogs is a lil different. They were a very close 2nd (only to deer) when it came to most popular game when I lived in LA (Boudreaux likes pig). I've been to more pig pickin's than I can recall and in every case the meat was good. Lean, a little gamey and stringy at times, but good. My experience is the same w/ wild hogs (javelina). A lil more gamey but still good.

Charlie is a way better man than me, going after a feral pig w/ only a 9mm. My handgun of choice was a S&W 41 mag and even then it would often take a couple-three rounds to bring it down. The .308 WIN is good, the .270 WIN is gooder, the .300 WIN mag is goodest.
                          sigpic

Comment

I put a 124 gr Golden Saber hollowpoint right between his headlights. He went down like the hand of God had struck him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsniper View Post
                              I put a 124 gr Golden Saber hollowpoint right between his headlights. He went down like the hand of God had struck him.

Ha ha ha
                              Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

Working...
                              X