X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowblind
    replied
    Originally posted by Panther4 View Post
    Ironic.... this is exactly the reason I came to this board. I am from Prince William County and looking to assist anyone in the Culpepper area who wants to reduce their hog population.
    I hunt on luck stone property in Culpeper where the hogs are plentiful.
    You can stop by any farmer near by and I'm sure they will give you permission. They're tearing fields up and would be glad to have you take them out.
    Also, years back when we had that drought, hogs were able to cross the river on 522 at the Orange/ Culpeper line. They are in that area of Orange county now. Check the farms near EV Bakers store in the area.;)

Leave a comment:

• Panther4
    replied
    Ironic.... this is exactly the reason I came to this board. I am from Prince William County and looking to assist anyone in the Culpepper area who wants to reduce their hog population.

Leave a comment:

• Retired Army
    replied
    Do you know of anyone who might allow me and another retiree to hunt hogs in the culpeper area?

Leave a comment:

• DucknFish
    replied
    Only way I have hog hunted is with a bow and that is a blast. If i could find a place in the state to hunt them inexpensively i would do often. They have not made there way over the mountain yet but i am sure they are coming. I will side with Wayne and 31 they are tasty I pull the loins whole and do the rest of the hog in sausage using Mortons Sausage and Meatloaf seasoning. I do it the same as my normal sausage recipe adding around 8-12% fat and i use beef talon instead of hog.

Leave a comment:

• kickin bass
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian View Post
    Have you seen evidence of them Macon? recently?
    Nothing at all, those were the only two times I have ever seen/heard them. I believe that was back when I was in college so 5-6 years ago. Man does time fly by!! The coyote population has really risen since then so maybe they have taken care of them some? I did see a couple days ago a fallen tree on the ground with about the bottom 5 feet ripped open just like a bear was digging for a quick meal... Not sure what other animals would do the same thing. One was recently caught on a trail camera a few hundred yards away as well so there is certainly one around somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    Have you seen evidence of them Macon? recently?

Leave a comment:

• kickin bass
    replied
    Little late to the party but I jumped one on my ATV at my parents house in Hanover (few miles west of Ashland) a couple years ago. Wasn't all that big, best guess 50-60 pounds. Couple days later leaving for a fishing trip early in the AM heard at least one, sounded like a couple of them, back in the same area. Needless to say, loaded up the boat way quicker than usual and I was gone!

Leave a comment:

• Snowblind
    replied
    30/06 180gr core Lokt stops em also. ;)

Leave a comment:

• PokerFace
    replied
    Originally posted by Gsniper View Post
    I put a 124 gr Golden Saber hollowpoint right between his headlights. He went down like the hand of God had struck him.

Ha ha ha

Leave a comment:

• Gsniper
    replied
    I put a 124 gr Golden Saber hollowpoint right between his headlights. He went down like the hand of God had struck him.

Leave a comment:

• 31Airborne
    replied
    So, my experience w/ the culinary aspects of feral hogs is a lil different. They were a very close 2nd (only to deer) when it came to most popular game when I lived in LA (Boudreaux likes pig). I've been to more pig pickin's than I can recall and in every case the meat was good. Lean, a little gamey and stringy at times, but good. My experience is the same w/ wild hogs (javelina). A lil more gamey but still good.

Charlie is a way better man than me, going after a feral pig w/ only a 9mm. My handgun of choice was a S&W 41 mag and even then it would often take a couple-three rounds to bring it down. The .308 WIN is good, the .270 WIN is gooder, the .300 WIN mag is goodest.

Leave a comment:

• Gsniper
    replied
    I was hunting swamp hogs. I'd say ones raised in the woods have a totally different diet. Would make a big diff.

Leave a comment:

• Snowblind
    replied
    I can honestly say, the ones we kill in Culpeper are tasty as hell.;)

Leave a comment:

• fishinVa89
    replied
    For what it's worth...last summer while on the 95 heading north towards Ashland I passed what appeared to be a dead one on the side of the road. After some deductive reasoning I was almost certain that it was one. I went back to the spot shortly there after and was going to pull off the side of the road to check it out and snap some pics to send to dgif biologist I know only to find it had been picked up already. If it were a dog more than likely it would not have been picked up just like any other regular piece of roadkill. Was too small to be a bear right there near Elmont exit.

Leave a comment:

• Gsniper
    replied
    They're a ball to hunt. I went one time on a hound hunt and it was a blast. They were trying to get me to kill one with a knife. The 9mm shot was close enough to suit me. I've cheated the reaper enough times that it's not on my to do list anymore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X