Report for July 20.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report for July 20.

Just finished up fishing a few days on the chick pre-fishing for my VA East Fishers of men Tournament Sat July 20th.

Catching fish is a tough go right now. That being said, there are still fish to be caught, and nice ones too. Catching a 5 to 10 pound bass on any given cast is always a possibility on the chick, even on a slow day. During practice I caught a 7 pound 14 oz bass of a main river cypress with a zoom finesse worm, on 8 pound test and a 1-16th oz weight. Caught one over four pounds using the same set up on a grass edge inside the mouth of a down river feeder creek. Caught another one over five pounds on a crank bait off a shallow flat next to the creek channel. During practice we had bites as shallow as two feet or less, and as deep as 13 feet.

On tournament day we had a total of 7 bites for 13 plus pounds if that tells you anything...My point is this; if if you're headed to the chick you need to be flexible, cover water and fish the tide. If pads are your thing then I'd recommend frogs and flipping the pads during during a high out going tide, but you'll still need to cover a lot of territory to find pads with active fish. Personally I like to fish wood, so I run and gun a lot looking for anything wood to hit. Shallow running crank baits, 1/4 oz spinner baits, finesse and jigs are my baits of choice for wood.

The best way to summarize the bite on the chick is this: I worked that flat for 15-20 minutes making cast after cast before I got bit by that five pounder. On another place I worked over a group of old pilings for a good 15 minutes cranking and finessing them before I got bit. They wouldn't touch plastics or a jig, but hit the crank bait pretty hard when they did bite. I caught two pounders there. Every bass I caught during practice and in the tournament, whether it was on plastics, crank bait or spinner bait, took multiple cast to the same general area before I got the bite. With these high temps thats the way the fishing is right now.

Hope this helps ya'll some. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Brian; 07-22-2019, 06:34 AM.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

thanks for the insight Jim!
    Make VAO Great again

Comment

What was the water clarity Jim? Stained water can lead to smaller strike zones....
      cheers,
      Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
      Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Near the dam was normal. Down lake creeks had a light stain. But the bite was the same near the damn as it was compared to down lake creeks. One team reported having a hay day with frogs in the pads on Friday. Could not get them to touch it on Sat. No doubt that was due to heavy boat traffic from the dam down to the cut through
        2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
        2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X