Chickahominy River Fishing Reports 4/25-26/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickahominy River Fishing Reports 4/25-26/14

Water temps mid river were about 64-66* pending time of day, up river at damn area 66-68*. We launched from Hellens River Rest on Friday around 7a.m.. The tide was starting to come in and mid river area was our first stop on some cypress that has produced for me from time to time. Turns out they were there and bedding. There were spawning and post spawners here. After catching several shorties but 2 in the 31/2-4# range we decided as of then our #1 spot to check on on Saturday's tx. After finding no pads up out of water and the bite really off everywhere we went the game plan was to grind it out at first stop knowing we should be able to find 5-3#ers. At the hotel that evening I talked to a couple gentle men there who have been there for over a week pre fishing for a big tx coming soon. They had told me water temps were up to 72* the weekend before and big bass were plentiful. Then after the cool down things had not been right. This made sense to the bite we had. It was soft plastics moved painfully slow. Then when they hit it felt like they were chewing it, when you set up half the time it pull the bait off but no fish. After casting into an area like that after the 3rd cast I hooked up on a 4# fish same bite but hooked up that time. She was spawned out and what I was assuming guarding a nest. We did manage our 5, but not all 3+ fish we had 12.67 over all which took 3rd out of 30 boats. Winning bag went to Charlie Bowles and his partner with I believe 14 and change, my apologies if the weight is not right. But congrats to all, was a tuff bite lots of short 12 and under fish.
    Like always on the chick, never mind the bite it helps but I love fishing that river. I wish it were closer, I'd fish there all the time.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Good job out there.
    sigpic

Comment

Good report Carl! Sounds like a pretty good day after a cold front. Fishing should be good on the Chick for the next several weeks. Can't wait to get back on it myself! Congrats on a good finish!
      Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Love fishing the chick, next time around this time, pitstop off on Dischund Creek in the skinny spots for bass. Some nailers back up in there.

Comment

Nice work out there Carl. It sounds like you and a Chris had a pretty good 3 days on an awesome fishery.
          sigpic
          VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Great job Carl.
            Wishin' I was fishin'...
            www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Good job fellas. Y'all are off to a good start this year, keep it up!

Comment

Congrats Carl. keep it going
                Crank That Jank!
                sigpic

Comment

Congrats Carl
                  2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information