Thursday 15 May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday 15 May

The next FOM TX is on the Chick in late June. Since I was planning on fishing the chick anyway I thought I’d throw in on the VAO TX. Nate (VAO’s Ranger-520) and I were going to pair up for it and decided to spend some time on Thursday doing a little looking. The river still has some brown stain to it; low tide was at 0930 or so then incoming the rest of the day. Oh yea, throw in the 20 MPH winds lol, Can’t forget that. Getting the bites was tough yesterday. I didn’t really focus on top water at all and decided to work the wood pattern as much as possible. Bottom line is we had 5 or 6 bites in the morning and just two solid 2+ pounders to show for it. We never really hit any concentration of fish; it was one here and there etc. Nate had to call it at 11:00 so after I dropped him off I made some adjustments to my bait selection and revisited all the spots I had hit that morning. I am a firm believer that if you get the presentation right you will do well; if you don’t it will be a long hard day. The adjustments I made did make a difference because I was able to boat two bass pushing three pounds each and one 4+ pounder. I still don’t think I nailed the presentation perfectly because I still wasn’t getting any more bites than what we achieved in the morning, but obviously the quality was better so I was pleased. Our best five would go a solid 13 pounds I believe so not a bad day over all. It’s going to be hard enough to do well in FOM without giving up much more than what I have posted so forgive me for the lack of the additional details that I am accustomed to posting.

It was a pleasure to share the boat with Nate, and he did his fair share with putting bass in the boat. He’s a good stick with good instincts and I would encourage anyone who wants a good partner to share the boat with him. I was hoping for a better day for him than what we had but hey: I’ll gladly take any day the lord grants me for fishing.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

I also always seem to do better without Nate in the boat :)
    Make VAO Great again

Comment

Nice report Jim....must be nasty there today if that area got the rain we got. We have closed roads due to flooding....
      cheers,
      Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
      Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Jim...thanks for the kind words...in those short 4 hours on your boat, I learned a lot about tidal river fishing....

Aaron.....seems we share the same plight...lol...go team senko

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information