Shooting Blanks at Chickahominy Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Blanks at Chickahominy Lake

Someone please key me in on some spots to catch some bass. I've fished the chick twice now and have come up dry both times. If you don't want to post it on the forum send me a PM. I'm not a tx fisherman so I won't be competing against you. I know there are several natives on this forum who must know of some structure or something to help me boat a bass. Very much appreciated and advice will go a long way seeing as I have yet to catch a fish.

Also, is there any submerged structure on the lake? Navionics shows next to nothing.

You need a trailer man consultation.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

pads and trees!
      sigpic
      sigpic

Comment

Try chartreuse buzzbaits around the pads.
        Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

Yes, there is lots of submerged structure. Deeper ledges (8-15') are some of the best winter and summer options you can explore. Outside channel swings are better than inside swings. The sharper the break the better - look on your map for places where the contour lines are close together. Grass and pads always hold fish. Bite activity will depend heavily on tide.

Tide is the key variable. Recommend reading thru some of the reports in this section to learn what others have learned about tides on the Chick. Lots of good stuff in here.
          sigpic

Comment

come on 31, the man was asking about the lake. Dang southerners
            Make VAO Great again

Comment

The key to catch numbers on the Chic is to downsize your baits. Some key baits would include a 4 inch senko weightless (I like watermelon with a chart tail) using like a 5/0 hook to get it to sink, a 7 inch Berkeley Powerbait curly tail worm in Bluefleck, small squarebill or 200 series bandits crankbaits (silent) in a shad color that you can bang off cover and small topwater baits like spooks and g-splashes if the clouds are out. Small tandem blade white or white/chart spinnerbaits (one silver, one gold) on pad edges are good, and a Spro popping frog with a yellow belly to chuck up into the pads would round out the list (Cloudy). Use as light and small a bait as you can for the current. 3/16 ounce texas rigged worms, 5/16th or 3/8th ounce jigs. If you see the crabs in your area, a texas rigged creature bait is a good immitator etc. On outgoing tide, try and fish the drains into the main river and remember that bass face into the current. Do get too close to shore and mark the edge lines to focus on. On incoming tide, position your boat near shore and cast out and bring your bait with the current. At low tides, find the brush on points and channel bends and bang away with cranks and jigs and dropshots. A sunny day, find docks and skip senko's up under them and there will be docks nearer the channel edges focus on them and if they are also in a drain area, get excited....
              cheers,
              Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
              Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Whut? Huh? There's a lake up there? For real?
                sigpic

Comment

The lake has a tide?
                  sigpic
                  sigpic

Comment

Did they remove the dam? I thought he asked about the LAKE. I've never fished up there.

Comment

Just ignore my post guys. In my zeal to see my own words I missed one of his :)
                      cheers,
                      Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                      Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

comma, again
                        sigpic

Comment

You got some hell of advice for the river. Skip the lake and hit the river ;)
                          Crank That Jank!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X