VA East FoM, 12 MAY 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA East FoM, 12 MAY 2018

It had been 2 years since I'd been on the Chick, three years since I'd fished tidal waters. It showed. Thought I had a lil something figured out in practice for the off period but I was mistaken. I had it figured out for that day. Rivers change every day and so do the fish. Without the benefit of a few more data points I was clueless as to what to do.

Practice. I recalled from previous outings that the fish will sometimes pull off onto ledges when it gets hot. I bounced around from turn to oxbow to creek channel testing this theory. It worked great on THUR, a little less so on FRI. Outside bends produced the best for me. Sharper drop was better. I checked out pads and shallower areas - managed a few on a weightless fluke. Strangely, I didn't have a bite off of a dock either day (and I worked them pretty hard). Late in the day on FRI I managed a couple of solid keepers off of ledges during the latter stages of the incoming tide. This gave me [momentary] confidence I had something for the period of the tide that has always caused me the most trouble.

TX day. I return to the scene of the crime, picking up where I left off on FRI. Within the first 15 minutes I bang out 2 small keepers. And then it was over. I fished drains, ledges, pad beds, brush piles, stump fields, docks, you name it. I didn't have so much as a sniff after that second fish. I covered a lot of water, making return trips to select spots during different phases of the tide. Nope. I marked fish of all kinds everywhere I went. They had no (zero) interest in anything I threw.

Observations: 1) Water temps ranged from 72 on THUR AM to 78 on SAT afternoon. The water is its usual tannic color but also had a stain to it. 2) Pads are up and in great shape. The grass is a little slower coming in. It's spotty - thick patches here and there, mainly near drains. 3) The rec traffic was light even with the perfect weather. Kids are still in school I suppose. 4) The white perch or bass (or whatever they are) are active. They wore me out the first day, making me think I had a real bite. They tore up some plastics.

Wish I had to offer but without the benefit of catching a few I'm at a loss. That said, this remains one of my fav places to go. Another great stay at Rockahock. Andy and crew put on yet another good show (31 boats).

peace, B
    sigpic

I'm almost ashamed to say I've never fished the Chick.

Sorry you had a rough outing, but at least it was in an interesting place.

Comment

Even a bad outing on chick is still my favorite.
      2017 Ironman winner
      2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

It was a tough day for sure 31. The Chick is a pretty river even when the bite is tough!
        Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

It was certainly a stingy day out there on the river, sometimes all you can do is grind it out till the bitter end! Great seeing you as usual 31!
          sigpic
          sigpic

Comment

Tough day. In hindsight...perhaps too much movement vs. waiting for them to come to you? Just a thought as tidal fisheries are all about the timing.

I know its tough, and the decision making process on tidal water is even more tougherest
            Wishin' I was fishin'...
            www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gnfsnva View Post
              Tough day. In hindsight...perhaps too much movement vs. waiting for them to come to you? Just a thought as tidal fisheries are all about the timing.

I know its tough, and the decision making process on tidal water is even more tougherest
              You should write a book Erik ;)
              cheers,
              Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
              Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X