FOM Legacy 6/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOM Legacy 6/23

My son Jake and I fished this derby on Saturday together for the 3rd or 4th year I think. The best we had ever finished was 1st spot out of the money (think 6th). I hadn't been on the river in a few weeks so I was going off past history with my game plan. We drew boat number 11 and when we got to the first spot I wanted to fish there was a boat beside it. So we stopped at a pad flat I like and started throwing a frog. We get to a cypress tree and Jake gets bit on a speed craw but it comes off. Then he hooks up on one and it gets hung up on the tree and comes off. He was already getting a little discouraged. I told him we have all day buddy. We get towards the end of the pads and Boom!! A big fish blows up on my frog. Set the hook and tell Jake to get the net. We get her in the boat and I'm thinking it's close to 6lbs. We had an "Ike" moment and I'm sure everyone around us knew something good happened.

After that we were able to get on our other spot but only caught a non-keeper. We fished a couple spots near the dam and nothing. So from there I went to a deep water spot and it paid off with a couple keepers including our 2nd biggest fish. I eased over to some pads near by and we caught a small keeper on a frog. The tide is coming in pretty good at this point and I knew we needed to get our 5th keeper in a hurry. I ran to another pad flat with a feeder creek and threw the frog around and caught number 5 which was a 2 lber. I told Jake I felt better now and that we can go hawg hunting. He picked up a punch bait and quickly caught another keeper but it didn't help. We left there and went to another pad field and he caught one on a senko but didn't quite help. We catch another one on a frog but I didn't think it would help and was about to throw it back. I decided to just make sure and check it and it looked slightly bigger then our smallest so we made the cull. I didn't know it at the time but that cull would be big.

At this point the tide is about half in and getting high. I ran a bunch of different spots including spots that we caught fish on and we did not get another bite the rest of the day. I was thinking we at least had a shot at big fish but figured we only had about 13 lbs and it would be close to get a check. When we checked in I saw 15.12 was leading and 15.07 was 2nd. 14+ was third so I figured we may have a shot at 4th. When we weighed the big one to my surprise it was 6.60 lbs. Then when the rest of the fish went on the scale they weighed 15.29 and we took the lead. That weight would hold up for the day and Jake and I won and had big fish. I was super excited for Jake because told me all day the he just wanted a plaque to put on his wall even if it could be 2nd or 3rd. Well he has a 1st place plaque to put on his wall now and we have a memory that will last a lifetime. Was a tough day fishing but great to spend the day with my son and have some success. You can't beat that smile he has getting our picture taken holding up our fish!

Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Nice job Rowe men and great report.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    sigpic

Comment

Well done to both of you fellas. Congratulations!
      Crank That Jank!
      sigpic

Comment

Heck yea E...great job!
        Make VAO Great again

Comment

Awesome job fellas.
          Wishin' I was fishin'...
          www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Team Rowe gen2 strikes again! Awesome!
            sigpic

Comment

Absolutely awesome!! Congrats guys!
              sigpic
              sigpic

Comment

Congrats On the memories made and the win!!

Comment

Congrats Eric, lifetime memories for sure!
                  sigpic

Comment

Sweet memories with your son, good job team Rowe
                    2017 Ironman winner
                    2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Working...
                    X