Chick Fishing Report 7/30/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chick Fishing Report 7/30/2011

Went out with a buddy to the Chick today. We got there around 6am and took off down Gordons Creek. We weren't out even a half an hour and I hooked into a blue catfish. Small guy but it was an early bite. I caught him on a green and white blue diver minnow (3-5 ft). The day looked promising with such an early catch.

We continued down Gordons Creek with not so much as another hit. We continued to Nayses Bay where we saw what we thought were pike chasing after small bait fish. We started fishing in 2-5ft of water with very heavy vegetation. Time for the extreme weedless. We threw on a few plastic minnows with no luck and then switched to a Texas style worm rig. Still no hits. The pike were everywhere around us, at least 10 hitting the surface every minute. It was hard to watch them take all the bait fish out and not get a single hit. We stayed there for the better part of an hour and decided to move on to Nettles Creek.

When we got to Nettles we threw on the jigs and crankbaits, no hits on the way up. We got half way up the creek and decided to turn around and give it another shot. We fished every branch of that creek we could find and only got a few hits with no catches.

By this time it was around 2pm. Right where the Nayses Bay met Gordons creek we made an amazing discovery. There were small bait fish jumping out of the water with schools of catfish and pike coming out of the water after them! We were extremely excited and ended up fishing that one area for another hour and a half. My buddy caught a 3lb blue catfish on a silver rooster tail. I had no such luck. The fish weren't spooked by the boat one bit. They would come out of the water within a foot or two of the boat. We got a good look at the pike and boy were they big. I saw what I thought was a long nose gar but I'm not 100% on that one. We threw everything we had in our tackle boxes at them. Crankbaits, rooster tails, frogs, spinners, buzz baits, jigs, worms, torpedoes, poppers ... we couldn't get a bite to save our lives! It was such a disappointment. Now I'm no pro fisherman but to catch nothing when there were so many fish... what were we doing wrong?

Nice river to go to and there are plenty of fish. Some advice though... don't take a canoe:Titanic:! Make sure you have some sort of engine to get you around. The only thing I got was a catfish and sunburn:Swear:. We got back to the docks at 4pm, loaded up, and headed home. I plan on going back with some more ammo and maybe some live bait and definitely a motor.

I need a beer:Drink:

Sorry you didn't get on the bass. The river is fishing tough right now and is very dependant on the right tide. I have to believe the fish you were seeing were gar. That end of the creek is full of them. Hard to catch them. If they were pike I would think you would catch one. Hope you have better luck next time cause it is a good river to fish.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Same as E wish it had turned out better for you. Lot of places are tough right now but the closer we get to a little cooler weather the James/Chick and others will fire off. But then its time to chase deer!

Comment

Dang, too bad y'all didn't get on too much. Gordon's is a good place to fish, but it's all about the tide.

Better luck next time, and we look forward to the reports.
        Wishin' I was fishin'...
        www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

chick river-gar fish

we fished that river 2 weeks ago and the gar fish were in total abundance as far as your eye could see......especially down by the old helens hideaway...down on the right side...reminds me of 20 yrs ago i had an elderly gentleman fishn with me....he caught a 46 lb alligator gar off a large minnow....i think that is what the citation said it was..but it was 60 inches long......he died of cancer..but he got a citation.

the best tide to catch bass in outgoing......wish i knew the secret to catching the fish on incoming...lol

Comment

I'm thinkin of going back out for some gar. There were plenty of them and they are a good size fish. I've heard they are tough to catch though. We threw everything we had at them and didn't get a single bite. Are live minnows the way to go with them?

Comment

Gar in the Rappahanock love cut bait and chicken liver
              Crank That Jank!
              sigpic

Comment

Alligator Gar in the Chick?
                Wishin' I was fishin'...
                www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Yea that's what I thought. I'm pretty sure that I saw a long nose Gar too but I only saw the head of one and it was a quick glance. I know for sure that I saw a big black spot on the end of the body right before its tail, whatever fish that is. It was a long and slender body.

I'm going to try and grab a boat and get back out there with some live bait. I'll let you guys know when I'm going. This weekend I'm headed out to Big Bethel reservoir for some bass and catfish. After I do a little bit of research I'll give you guys some details on the trip so keep an eye out.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneFishin View Post
                    ....I know for sure that I saw a big black spot on the end of the body right before its tail, whatever fish that is. It was a long and slender body....
                    What you saw was more than likely a Bowfin.
                    Attached Files
                    ~Tight Lines~
                    www.facebook.com/lane.hariu

sigpic

Comment

That's exactly what I saw. I remember that tail but I didn't get that great of a look at the head. I think it's time to do a little research on what they eat. I'm looking to go back out soon but I need to find a fishing partner with a boat.

Comment

Fishing partners

IM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO GO FISHN...........IF ANYONE WANTS TO SHARE EXPENSES ON MY BASS BOAT......fuel cost etc.....send me contaxct info......fish the chick river and lake....james...and id like to learn lake anna better to catch fish there consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by trailerman View Post
                          we fished that river 2 weeks ago and the gar fish were in total abundance as far as your eye could see......especially down by the old helens hideaway...down on the right side...reminds me of 20 yrs ago i had an elderly gentleman fishn with me....he caught a 46 lb alligator gar off a large minnow....i think that is what the citation said it was..but it was 60 inches long......he died of cancer..but he got a citation.

the best tide to catch bass in outgoing......wish i knew the secret to catching the fish on incoming...lol
                          The chick holds some booner gar - but they are all long nose gar not alligator gar - I wish we had alligator gar!

Here are a few from the chick in years past

Comment

Definately no Alligator gar in the james/chick system. The winter time water temps alone would not allow them to live. Your best shot at an actualy alligator gar is to head southwest and hit the trinity river. As far as I know only Florida, Lousiana and Texas have alligator gar.

The babsolute best way to catch Gar or Bowfin on the chick is to put a medium sized bluegill underneath a float and send him into a likely area. he will get eaten.
                            sigpic
                            VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

There are no alligator gar in the chickahominy. You either saw our indigenous gar fish or like the above-poster said, a bowfin. Bowfin are very prehistoric looking fish with a swim bladder that permits them to survive in very low slow moving waters. I used to catch big ones in a swampy area of the Totopotmoy Creek when I was a kid. I caught them on everything from hot dogs to a broken back minnow, to a rattle trap. The Chick is full of them as well as the Pamunkey, and Mattaponi Rivers. They thrive in areas where other fish can't survive. They can get very large as a result.

It's more or less a trash fish, but if you hook into a big one, they can be a lot of fun to catch, but not so fun to release. They have teeth so do not lip them. If you fish with live bait in the Chick, you will likely run into one or two of them along the way. I've also caught them on plastic lizards, and a buzzbait.

I never fished the Chick that much. I fished Morris Creek a lot, which feeds the Chick. I caught a big crappie out of that creek and a few decent bass, some catfish, but that's with minnows. It's so hot around this time around there that fishing can be tough. You end up seeing plenty of trash fish like gar and bowfin, but I'm not interested in catching those fish. Colors are important and I can't begin to tell you which colors are best for the chic.

During the fall, I had some luck fishing a very narrow extremely swampy area of the Chic. I caught crappy, pike,and bass. It's can be a great river to fish. Lots of folks used silver spoons in that area of Chic.
                              Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information