Children's Miracle Network TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's Miracle Network TX

I fished this torunament with Eddie Griggs this weekend. He called me and asked if I wanted to fish it and I said heck yea. I had fished the Chick on Firday with Fish 4-5 and we caught a limit but it was tough. I had at least a little idea of what we may could do. Eddie had a game plan and we ran up river first thing. It was cold and breezy and took a little while for our hands to warm up. First spot didn't produce so we moved up and fish some pads. Water was pretty high. Eddie said "wonder if they will hit on top" and threw a topwater swim bait. He had one hit it but it just grabbed the tail. That at least told us we might could catch them on top. We proceeded down the bank and I hit keeper #1 on a Spro frog. Ice was broken. (speaking of ice... it was drizzling and I thought it may sleet it felt so cold). We hit a couple more spots up river and only had a short fish so we started heading down to catch the end of the outgoing tide. We hit spot after spot on the way with nothing. It was a painfully slow morning. We ended up in a lower creek and were making repeated casts to a couple logs. We were throwing plastic worms and Eddie catches keeper #2. Little guy but a keeper. I switched to a crankbait an nail one on the first cast but he comes off at the boat. Small one. Next cast bang another one and we have keeper #3. Another little guy. After that it slowed again so we decide to run again. Working our way back up river I told Eddie lets hit a creek I've done well in in the past. We start at the mouth and work our way in. Eddie bangs keeper #4 on a worm and it's a good one. Little further down I bang keeper #5 on a shakey head. Another good one. So now we have a limit and really need to cull 2. I told Eddie it's time to get serious and I switch to my favorite plastic. The babybrushhog. We continue to the mouth of the creek and see some bait busting on the point. I toss the bbh by the bait fish and thump... set the hook and it's a toad. Thought it was a striper when it took off. Then it jumped and I saw it was a bass. I told Eddie "it's a giant" and I think we both got nervous. LOL It runs under the boat, stripping drag and then we get it in the net. Was a really cool moment. We're high 5'n... was a nice kicker fish and a great cull. We fish the creek up and back one more time then move again. Pull in another creek Eddie knows and he bangs 2 keepers on the finesse worm and culls the little guy with a nice fish. So at this point time is running out and we think we may have about 13 lbs. We start thinking of where we can catch another kicker. Hit a few spots and nothing. We fished another creek and caught 3 more that didn't help. Finally we went back to the creek where the 3 goods ones came from and couldn't get bit. Felt like we needed another good one but we had what we had. Get to the weigh in and Kelly Pratt weighs their fish and they have 12.90. Big fish was 3.54 and I knew we had the big fish beat but thought it was going to be close to beat Kelly and Richard's total weight. Richard watches Eddie put the fish in the bag and says we have 14 easy. We're not sure about that. We take them to the scales and weigh the big one first. It weighs 5.20 which is better than we thought. Put 5 on the scales and they weigh 14.84 and we win the tx.

Was an awesome day in some tough conditions. It's the first time Eddie and I have actually fished together even though we've been friends a long time. We just toughed it out and were lucky to end up in the right place at the right time and got the fish in the boat we needed. We probably caught 10 keepers total and a few shorts. Most of the fish we caught were in the last 3 hours of the tounament. We knew it would be a tough day and we both said lets just have fun today. Was a great time spent on the water and I appreciate Eddie inviting me to go! Here's a picture of the big one for the day. When I saw it jump I thought it was a 6+. LOL

Last edited by Big E; 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Nice work big E!
    sigpic
    sigpic

Comment

nice job E
      sigpic
      VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Good job Big E!!
        2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

sigpic

Comment

Nice job on a tough day Eric, like that Chic pig!
          sigpic

Comment

Congrats to you and Eddie!

Comment

Great Job E and great fish.

That's a pretty nice audible from the opening day hunt you had planned.
              Wishin' I was fishin'...
              www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

great job E.....awesome.....
                cheers,
                Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

nice big e
                  sigpic
                  sigpic

Comment

awesome Eric- congrats out to you and Eddie
                    Crank That Jank!
                    sigpic

Comment

Congrats E. That's a big fish and darn good bag. Those bbhs are great in the tide.
                      "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane"

- Waylon Jennings

Comment

Congrats to both E's..........great job
                        Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250
                        sigpic

Comment

Rednecks Unite! Hahaha...Well done fellas!
                          2010 VAO March Madness Big Bass

sigpicJERKIN JIMMY

Photobucket

Comment

Way to go Eric!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Great job Eric still looking forward on hitting the river with you.
                              2017 Ironman winner
                              2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information