James River Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James River Question

I was planning a trip to the james for a few days in mid june for bass fishing, was looking for input for campground,marina and where to fish. Keep in mind i have never been on the james and dont want any bad experience...Thanks
    sigpic
    sigpic

If it was me I would go to the chick. Awesome campground and fishing.
    sigpic

CHUCK n DUCK

Comment

True but wanted to see how it is to navigate and fish the james in case i make the regionals, i will at least have some idea
      sigpic
      sigpic

Comment

Big - talk to BigE (Eric). That's his home water/turf.
        sigpic

Comment

BC, there isn't much in the way of campgrounds on the Jimmy. Out of towners stay at the hotels that are about 10 miles from the ramp. For true navigation purposes you should launch out of Osbourne Landing near Richmond, this is where that tournament would launch from. The James is easily navigable as there are tons of channel markers. Essentially you can just run down the middle of the river, but navigation is not a problem. The river is deep but hof course has many flats once you are out of the channel. Fishing in June will be decent but you can bet that in the regional tournament a large portion of the boats will be running to the Chick.
          sigpic
          VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Originally posted by JayT View Post
            BC, there isn't much in the way of campgrounds on the Jimmy. Out of towners stay at the hotels that are about 10 miles from the ramp. For true navigation purposes you should launch out of Osbourne Landing near Richmond, this is where that tournament would launch from. The James is easily navigable as there are tons of channel markers. Essentially you can just run down the middle of the river, but navigation is not a problem. The river is deep but hof course has many flats once you are out of the channel. Fishing in June will be decent but you can bet that in the regional tournament a large portion of the boats will be running to the Chick.
            Big, what Jay says is true, EXCEPT for one MAJOR point. The Oxbow's off the main river are not a "run down the middle" sort of deal or depending on tide, you'll lose your lower unit. What I would suggest is to take a stretch, live or die by it (that is what I do when on new water) and get to know it. You can't possibly develop a bunch of reliable area's in a wide area, so don't even try. If I were you, I'd learn a couple of pits like the Barge and Meads and between them, Bluebarrels cut, the outflow of the plant, and the wingdams, you have enuf water to learn, close to Osbourne, with the potential to do well given your total lack of TOW.

cheers,
            Steve
            cheers,
            Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
            Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Steve is correct, the ox bows are different than the main river.
              sigpic
              VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

To expand on what the others said, if you are fishing in ANY of the pits, take it very slow until you cover them. Most are clear and you can run through them but the barge pit (the one down river of the power plant on the old river channel) especially has a ton of hidden things under the water (rock piles, barges, etc.) that will eat a boat. Some of the others have shallow mud flats, trees, and other things under the water so be careful.
                sigpic

Comment

If you make the regionals Big let me know. I will spend the day with you there and show you the down and dirty of the James. Let me know. Two questions though? What regionals and whet time of the year?
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

I can help you out also BigC. Just shoot me a pm.
                    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Love it. This kind of willingness to help is what makes this site so great.
                      Wishin' I was fishin'...
                      www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Thanks alot guys i will give you both a pm and make a run down and see how it goes.....
                        sigpic
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X