Pits and creeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pits and creeks?

I'm thinking about fishing the 2012 open on the james as a boater and was wondering if the pits and the creeks on the james are any good or if I would be better off running to the chick and fishing stuff in there? Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Deadeye

The tournament is in June so the pits will not be a major factor. There are plenty of creeks to fish but the lower creeks are better. The chick is obviously where it was won from this year and more than likely will be won from next year. If you are fishing out of your ranger how much gas does it hold? its a long run, 45 miles to the mouth and 60 miles to the dam plus running around all day. gas mileage also needs to be calculated based on WOT all day. This year when the two local boys were headed down on the last day the camera boats couldn't keep up. They were running 70+ all the way from osbourne.
    sigpic
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

I saw at least 7 of the top 12 in the Chick the last day.
      Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

I am thinking of fishing it to as a boater. I am waiting to see when and where the FLW open will be this year. I dont know if they are comming back to the Potomac. On my WW TX I had a 3+ pounder and one between 4 and 5 come unbuttoned in the Appomatox.That was the first time I had spent more than and hour in that creek. I think I could get a nice bag from there with a couple of days to figure it out. I think we will hae an incomming tide the whole TX so that is going to be tricky.
        2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
        2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

The FOM Legacy was in June and 18 pounds won it. All the fish came within a mile of the ramp
          2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
          2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Jim you are correct about big bag close to the ramp. the problem is those fish aren't sustainable. I try ever year in FOM and can't crack the teens. They are beat up,tough to catch and under a lot of pressure.

The App. river can be very good, but it fishes SMALL in big multi-day events. it was a madhouse during the FOM regional. It also is highly reliant on a "good" tide as you have very little time to put in work when the water heads out.
            sigpic
            VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Jim the FLW Tour Event on the Potomac is May 17-20 next year.
              2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. Jay my ranger holds 40 gallons and gets pretty good mileage if I keep it around 40-45mph. I think I'll be able to fill up if I need to at one of the marinas down in the chick if I run all the way down there, which I do plan on doing. Hopefully I'll do well during the BWS this year so I can have some extra $$$. I will also check out as many creeks between osbourne and the chick so maybe I wont have to run down there everyday.

Thanks,
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X