Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Anna with the famous Just1more - Friday October 19th 2018

So I have been traveling and working a lot so I decided to play hooky. With
    temps being projected to be 35ish at launch it was a good chance to try out some new Simms head and neckwear and just relax. Well as I was planning for what to bring while smoking a Cigar and drinking a Diet Coke, I realized I had not fished with Jim Whittman in a coons age (too long for you city types).

when I arrived at High Point I was thrilled to see that the boat had been detailed and waxed. It looks new again :). Thank you Carlos and team!

Sure as hell Siri still found his number and called him up. Turns out he had some early plans but with a little arms twisting he agreed to meet me at the lake around 10am. If you know Jim it was easy but you have to know his early morning errand had him 1.5 hours away with heavy traffic. I am privaliged to have such good friends willing to go to that LOE to fish with me and then have to risk one of my lengthy reports. You see he is VERY competitive so if he beats you in catching he will say something and if you are beating him, well his intensity levels continue to ratchet up and if you are in front of the boat you get a 12 to 1 casting angle :).

So I squirreled around waiting for him by fishing the High Point Marine cove thoroughly and trying to get my Lowrance units working again properly after putting on the latest software updates. I finally figured out that the transducer type for the bow unit was invalid. Once I set it to totalscan problem solved.

btw, I did this update by using the wireless support on the Lowrance and used my phone as a wireless access point. Worked like a champ. No more need for a micro SD.

The water temps when I launched were right at 70 degrees down about 5-7 degrees from last week. There was a bit of fog on the water but it was breezy enough that there was no visibility restrictions. The Simms beanie and neck Gator were very much needed as the truck registered 36 degrees! There were large bait balls at the mouth of Highpoint and Stripers slashing thru. I started by throwing a KVD squarebill, then a swimbait and Megabass jerkbait and also worked a jig down the 208 rip rap and bridge works. Nothing! Not a sniff. I would have liked to fish the various drops and deep area off the ramps but several bass boats were launching to prefish for the weekend tournaments.

While I was getting coffee before the launch and getting my Martha hug, she introduced me to one of the co-owners of Reelsnot. In case you didn’t follow their Bassmaster experience, they had their trailer stolen and lost all their merchandise. The trailer was recovered but they lost about 240k worth of content and discovered their insurance would not cover it due to the lack of a 190 dollar rider. Sad. Him and his partner do this as charity to support high school teams. Please support them by buying their products! Amazing people.

So Jim arrives and it’s game on. Since he was considering fishing on Sunday in a TX. I won’t Give out the specific spots, but the pattern is fair game. Think Jigs on rocky banks near channels. Bait is everywhere and in huge amounts. All the rain we have had has kept large amounts of nutrients to enable lots of phytoplankton and thus zoo plankton which leads to a baitfish explosion. There is good color and bait from the dam to the bridges up the creeks. The color of the water is stained at the splits due to last weeks rain that brought 3 inches in a few hours but the lake is at full pool. Last week it was about 18 inches up.

So, the fishing was good but like Anna normally is, it was one here and one there. I Caught 6 bass in the 6 hours with Jim on. 3/8s jig in Green pumpkin
    With Orange stands with a green pumpkin rage tale trailer with the craws dipped in orange. Jim was fishing a jig but not with a rage tail and often using black and blue. In the end he had about a 4 pounder jump off just as we were calling it a day. He did catch a bluegill and a small cat on a 1/4 ounce blade bait fishing under baitfish schools. Interesting technique.

So the best 5 were about 13lbs, with the 3 biggest in the 3.25 to 3.5 range. Nice jig fish! They bit in depth of 2 to 8 feet so they were active feeders but you had to watch your line carefully and if anything felt funny, set the hook
    Last edited by Squire; 10-22-2018, 10:00 AM.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Great report, thanks. I may be fishing a tournament there next weekend. I'll be happy if we catch 13lbs.

Comment

Thanks SteveO.
      2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
      2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
      2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
      2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
      sigpic

Comment

nice job guys
        Make VAO Great again

Comment

Nice report!

Comment

Good report Steve! Glad to see you were back out on the water again!
            Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Do you remember what the water temp was when you were there?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan 2 View Post
                Do you remember what the water temp was when you were there?
                I saw 69 (Jetts) to 71 (mouth of Contrary)
                cheers,
                Steve

sigpic

Comment

Oops I now see that was in the original post! Thanks!

Comment

Its always a fun day when we fish together...and normally pretty productive too. There was one important factor in the pattern that that I observed from the back seat...but I wont share that just yet, lol. The vets tournament is coming up and hopefully the pattern will hold. Haha. Awesome day my friend.
                    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by just1more View Post
                      Its always a fun day when we fish together...and normally pretty productive too. There was one important factor in the pattern that that I observed from the back seat...but I wont share that just yet, lol. The vets tournament is coming up and hopefully the pattern will hold. Haha. Awesome day my friend.
                      OK, spill the beans buddy....Color and or weight of the jig?
                      cheers,
                      Steve

sigpic

Comment

Ok. Only because you asked, lol. The whole time I was trying to decide if it was a color thing. But those bass were tight to the bank. We worked around that last bank / point without a wiff. My last cast was backwards in the area we had just both worked. My jig landed within a foot or less of the bank and the bass hit it immediately. My jig never made it to the bottom in less than 6 to 12 inches of water. On the way home I reviewed every bass caught in my brain. Your casts and weight of jig were falling closer to the edge than mine. My jig would fall away a good three foot before reaching the bottom. Thats my story and I’m sticking with it, lol.

sigpic

Comment

Ok. Only because you asked, lol. The whole time I was trying to decide if it was a color thing. But those bass were tight to the bank. We worked around that last bank / point without a wiff. My last cast was backwards in the area we had just both worked. My jig landed within a foot or less of the bank and the bass hit it immediately. My jig never made it to the bottom in less than 6 to 12 inches of water. On the way home I reviewed every bass caught in my brain. Your casts and weight of jig were falling closer to the edge than mine. My jig would fall away a good three foot before reaching the bottom. Thats my story and I’m sticking with it, lol.
                          that was true on a couple James, but that stretch leaving the cove full of bait, the big bite was in about 8ft of water, but it could have followed the bait out. Yes, the bass were actively feeding we were catching as the bait is making the feeding easier...
                          cheers,
                          Steve

sigpic

Comment

For clarification; 8 foot deep, or 8 feet away from the bank?

sigpic

Comment

For clarification; 8 foot deep, or 8 feet away from the bank?
                              8ft deep.....it came over a big rock then dropped off and it hit on the fall.....
                              cheers,
                              Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X