1st timer in Virginia help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st timer in Virginia help

Hello to all my fisherman brothers from Virginia! I am from North East Ohio... Quarter mile from lake Erie. Have some questions for you guys and I appreciate any answers and help you are willing to share. My girlfriend and I and another friend and his wife are renting a house on lake Anna in mid June. We are staying on the warm side. We will have a pontoon boat and I am looking to catch some fish. Always catch and release for me. I've done my homework on the lake with it being very warm water and all especially in June. Are any Bass biting over there with that water temp? Any advice on where to go? I'd love to be hitting docks and cover with a dinger but gonna be hard without a trolling motor and all. Gonna look for points and hydrilla I guess. Mainly I need to get my girlfriend on a good Bass... Only caught dinks. Or should I be targeting something else over there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gonna be a challenge without a TM for sure. Bass will be feeding on the hot side - evening/nite bite may be your best option. Topwaters, shallow running cranks. Don't recall seeing a lot of hydrilla on the hot side. It's been a while since I've been over there but suspect the power company keeps that side clear of SAV so it doesn't foul up the cooling intakes.

There are some reports on hot side trips in here. Recommend spending some time going thru those. Tons of useful info. ;)
    sigpic

Comment

there is little to none as far as hydrilla goes.....June might not be to bad as far as water temps go. It will be hard to fish docks without the TM...also, not sure what you consider a "good bass" but those are also few and far between on the warm side..you should be able to catch a bunch of fish just don't expect many over about 2 pounds....enjoy
      Make VAO Great again

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate the input. I fish lake Erie all the time for smallies so I guess I consider a good Bass 2-4 pounds. I'd love to get my girlfriend hooked into a 3-4 pounder. 1st I gotta teach her how to fish with some cranks, top water, dingers etc. Lol wish me luck on that! I take her out and fish with minnows alot. I'm sure we'll post up somewhere on the lake and minnow fish as well for some easy fishing for her. I've never caught a striper or snakehead. What can u tell me on those fish? Also what's water clarity there like? Looks like a pretty cool area.. looking forward to my Virginia vacation. Looking at the skyline drive and grand caverns... Looks pretty cool

Comment

the water is extremely clear on the hotside, I'd say 3/5 feet of visibility at least.....Snakehead you would have to head to the Potomac for the most part and striper can be had at Lake Anna although the cold side is better...you can def catch a pile of fish on the hotside dunking a minnow....you would be better served to go to the "cold" side of Lake Anna if you are looking to catch a 3-5 pound fish...striper fishing is much better also...you may want to look at booking a trip with Jim Hemby if you want you and your girlfriend to catch a bunch of striper..she would probably enjoy that,.
          Make VAO Great again

Comment

I can't get to the cold side from the hot side by boat...correct? Also I'm not sure if I wanna catch a snakehead. They look kinda nasty but bet they are a good fight. I'll Google that Jim Hemby and check that out. Thanks again

Comment

You are correct you cannot get from the hot side to the cold side by boat.
              Kirk
              sigpic

Comment

I'm headed to Lake Anna next friday. Anyone have any advice on any spots for me to hit. I will be strictly on the warm side. Fishing from a pontoon boat... Not ideal but it is what it is. I'll b there for a week. Kinda tough finding any fishing info on the warm side. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Treble Hooks View Post
                  I'm headed to Lake Anna next friday. Anyone have any advice on any spots for me to hit. I will be strictly on the warm side. Fishing from a pontoon boat... Not ideal but it is what it is. I'll b there for a week. Kinda tough finding any fishing info on the warm side. Appreciate the help.
                  Drop shot and or shakey head Dike 1, 2, and hit the rocks at the bridges. No shortage of fish on those.
                  Crank That Jank!
                  sigpic

Comment

If you want to Bass Fish, Christopher McCotter is a very good guide and knows both sides (hot and cold).....
                    cheers,
                    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Crank bait be my pick
                      2017 Ironman winner
                      2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Working...
                      X