wiper 3-2-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiper 3-2-20

Hit LKA at 7:30 and starter marking bait and fish at Jetts Island but no takers, Saw birds flying on the other side of Stubbs brides, lots of bait balls but no stripers, trolled on up pass Hunters Landing and saw nothing. Kept trolling up pass the "S" turns saw lots,I mean a ton of bait, but not active stripers. I was trolling with live bait, jigs and swim baits, the jigs and swim baits were on umbrella rigs on planer boards.
    On the way back from the "S" turns I swapped on one umbrella rig on each side with a live bait on a planer board. As the wind picked up I had to increase my speed to keep the lines in place and as we came around the last bend toward Hunters a board went down, thought I had snagged on the shallow hump in 6' of water, grabbed the rod and felt a heavy pull, line was stripping off, then felt the head shack and yelled big fish. The fish went 3/4 around the boat and I worked her back to the side and when she saw the boat she tried to go under it but my fishing buddy hsd the net ready and she was in the boat. 24" wiper with a belly full of roe, didn't get a weight but I would say 8-10 lbs. That made the day, wet ride home as the wind picked up more and had to ride white caps back to High Point.

Congrats on the big Wiper and thanks for the report! That must have been a fun fight.

Comment

That's a good one!
      Make VAO Great again

Comment

Meant to ask, are you pulling shad or large shiners right now? I've had 3 strikeouts this winter using artificials only and am contemplating giving the jumbo shiners a try

Comment

I was pulling extra large shiners at 15' in the 's' turns but had to kick my speed up to 1.2 mph. because of the wind. Usually pull live bait .5 - .7 mph and umbrellas .8 - 1 mph.

Comment

You troll umbrellas that slow? Like castable umbrellas im guessing?

Comment

Yes, they are the Yum rigs. I swap out the lite clips with heavy duty swivels though.

Comment

Thats pretty cool. I read an article someone wrote a while ago about slow trolling castables and doing well, it wasnt in lake anna though. I may have to give it another shot, I diddnt have any luck when i tried.

Comment

Yep, I have had pretty good luck with them this year and last, fishing them in the winter I don't expect much,1 or 2 fish an outing to me is a good day, just great to be on the water. I use 1/4 ounce jig heads or swim baits anything heavier pulls my planer boards down.

Comment

I like to use the Cpt Mack mini-mack rigs for slow trollin, but have also had good luck with the Yum rigs with 3-4" twister tails. I think the key is to just have a trailer on your jigs that will have decent action at slow speeds. Wormchukker, what size hooks do you rig the shiners with? I was thinking of heading to the lake this weekend and playing around with some live bait for once.

Comment

I use a Gammy 1/0 offset circle hook, they set themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information