6/1-2 report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/1-2 report

Had a beautiful weekend on the water. Got up early bothmornings and had no trouble finding bait under the bridges. Finding fish was harder. Worked most of the midlake area on saturday before finding a huge school in rose valley, caught one nice fat 22+ wiper and a few shorts before one of hemby’s guides buzzed us at speed not 30yds off our stern then came back and did it again off our port side then setup 50yds in front of us and began catching fish... certainly not what i would have expected, but we took the high road as by then jim had also come over so we just moved elsewhere but only found cats the rest of the day.

Sunday started with great bait again and we were on the hunt well before dawn. Looked for over an hour before finding a school at the southern end of the splits. Quickly had 2 cats and a short... then a rod buried to the water attached to a nearly 30” fat striper! Beautiful fish! Lost the school and worked sporadic fish toward 208, picked up another 26” about 30 min later then nothing. Started to head in and tried looking in one more point, hit the motherload! 25 feet thick school and all rods bent. Had 6 more keepers (4 wiper, 2 striper) in about 10-15 mins. Rebaited then all we could catch were the cats (probably 10-12 of them). Decided to call it with a two man limit and went to clean fish.

Not sure how to add a pic but i will add the big one if i figure it out

Nice day, learned some new spots to look!

Tight lines all!

Thanks for the report; I went out today after work and caught some 5”ish herring and put out some downlines and a couple planer boards near the 208 bridge; just caught a bunch of catfish and some small striper (one was really small, like 8” lol), and a perch. Have you been catching them on downlines or planers? What size and type of bait? Im hoping to get out some more later on this week and try again.

Comment

We had 4-6” herring and caught all fish on down lines from 20-35’ deep

Comment

Great report! A 30" fish is a nice one!

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Im going to try and get out tomorrow after work i think. Too windy today and ended up home lateish. Hey another question, for the smaller herring are you nose hooking them or through the back? 3-0 circle hooks still right? Im trying to figure out what im doing wrong, It might just be the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment

Well it is Anna
            2017 Ironman winner
            2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

30" striper on Anna is solid, nice work

Comment

Yep, thats what i’m doing. 1-2oz sinker depending on speed/wind and a 4-6’ flouro leader to the hook. I’ve had the best luck at 0.3 to 0.8 mph. Much over 1.0 starts to kill baits.

Remember stripers feed up, so dont bottom bounce.

Comment

Got the pics to work (i think)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Afternoon choresClick image for larger version

Name:	9E620BCB-7BC9-4436-9416-73F0662C6C9A.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	97070

Comment

Yep thanks; i think im doing the same stuff pretty much. I ended up just taking the family out swimming this evening but hopefully ill do some foshing tomorrow. Lots of bait around to catch it seemed like today while I was out.

Comment

Working...
                      X