Guidance for LKA white perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance for LKA white perch

All, been thinking about targeting white perch with hook and line a bit more given the numbers i’m seeing in the cast net some mornings. However its not a species i have any real experience targeting. Anyone have any guidance on where to look to locate them and then how best to target them once found?

Thinking this could be a more consistent way to put my young kids on fish (maybe).

Thanks!

My first guess would be to target deep bridges? I've always caught them mixed in with crappie on the deeper bridge pilings. The SML guys target them a bunch in the summer month and say to look in the backs of coves in around 15 to 20 feet of water. As far as lures go, drop shot rigs with worms or minnows work well or I've heard sabikis are really effective.

Comment

My experience is to locate the bait and you will locate the white perch.....I have good luck catching them on jerkbaits and spoons/vaults...also a gulp minnow on a drop shot
      Make VAO Great again

Comment

I usually target them in early fall through December when looking for stripers. Schools of jumbos up to 12" in Anna are usually on deeper flats or off points from 208 up towards Stubbs or Rose Valley. On the depth finder, they look like small stripers bunched up near the bottom. My best baits for them are silver buddies, crazy blades, and 1/4 oz white road runners. Had a few 100+ perch (2 fishermen) days last year, but most were under 6". Ten of them over 10" is a real good day. Found them one day (birds diving) chasing bait to the top like stripers.

Comment

Locate them similar to striper? Look for schools on sonar and troll or vertical jig/dropshot?

Do they typically orient to the bottom?

~2” size baits?

Comment

Originally posted by vtbigmac View Post
            Locate them similar to striper? Look for schools on sonar and troll or vertical jig/dropshot?

~2” size baits?
            Yes, find them on the FF.....white perch and stripers are related. I jig vertically off the bottom or cast the roadrunner and slow retrieve on the bottom. You will end up with some stripers/hybrids too. WP are typicallly on the bottom and 2" baits work very well. G. Vico also does this in the fall/winter at Anna and crushes them as well. Here is a link to a thread last December with 100+ perch and some stripers....... http://va-outdoors.com/threads/20291...2-29-and-12-30

Comment

Originally posted by vtbigmac View Post

~2” size baits?
              lots of times they are on the bottom but especially in the mornings and the evenings they will be suspended...they are usually pretty easy to see on the graphs...if you have access to the hotside they seem to be much bigger in general over there
              Make VAO Great again

Comment

Thanks! Great feedback. I do get on the hot side so i’ll have to poke around a bit.

Comment

Usually around the mouth of canal one down a few hundred yards into pool 2 you can find some
                  Make VAO Great again

Comment

Thx, found em there by accident around memorial day, will make a point to try this fall

Comment

Working...
                    X