Gaston Trip 07/11 - 07/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaston Trip 07/11 - 07/18

Got back Sunday from spending a great week at Gaston with the family. Spent majority of the time cruising and taking the nieces tubing, but I was able to sneak out a few mornings and do some fishing. First time being there but was able to get some help from 31airborne and other kerr lake board members that pointed me in a good starting direction.

Day 1 Started at the Eaton Ferry bridge and started pulling down lake. Didnt mark anything and was out for two hours.

Day 2 Headed further down lake and started fishing the main channel in front of Stonehouse creek and trolled to Poe. First fish in the boat on the trip was a blue cat, but then was able to follow up with 3 keeper stripers. Largest pictured was 22in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5062.jpg Views:	4 Size:	199.1 KB ID:	107729

Day 3 Headed back to where I found fish on Day 2 and popped a 20in keeper within the first 10 mins of fishing. Unfortunately that would be it for that day. Tried around the islands and channel in front of Pea Hill but couldnt mark anything there either.

Day 4 Went back to the Poe Creek area and was marking fish right away. Passed a few times trolling and nothing hit, so took some advice and broke out the jigs. No stripers but I was able to land my very first spot! Not going to try and brag about a 14in spot, but was happy to cross that off the species bucket list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5063.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	107730

Overall had a great time at Gaston. I like exploring new lakes and was nice to be able to put even a few fish in the boat. Was shocked at how quiet that lake was middle of the week. Even Anna on a Tuesday can be a zoo in the summer. There seemed to be hardly anyone out and only saw a handful of fisherman. Gaston was a tough lake to fish but it was a nice change of pace from Anna. I will definitely be back.

nice work! those spots are as much a curse as they are fun to catch. would've preferred they not be introduced but there's no turning that back. will be interesting to see how they compete w/ the other basses in Gaston. they have a track record of out-eating other species. hope that's not the case for Gaston.
    sigpic

Comment

Were they introduced intentionally or through illegal stocking?

Comment

Great report Kyle.

Comment

VDGIF says illegal stocking, most likely from the NC side. I caught one about 2.25 lbs a few years ago. I suspect there are fish way bigger than that in there now. they will out-compete other predator fish for forage, hence the concern.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 31Airborne View Post
            VDGIF says illegal stocking, most likely from the NC side. I caught one about 2.25 lbs a few years ago. I suspect there are fish way bigger than that in there now. they will out-compete other predator fish for forage, hence the concern.
            pretty sure they caught one over 5 pounds out of there this spring.

nice report and good job1
            Make VAO Great again

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information