No announcement yet.

claytor lake or new river muskie or catfish partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Below where Little River comes out is pretty cloudy. Above Little River is pretty clear

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A__FAB7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	97041 the Muskie my Supervisor caught. At least 45 inches. Caught it in Little River before the trestle

Comment

That Muskie was from Saturday morning. He had a Hybrid in its mouth(the Muskie, not my Supervisor lol). We didn't have him.perfectly straight when measured, so 45 inches wasn't how long he was, he was longer than that lol

Comment

Great fish! I'm hoping to be able to get out next weekend. I'll let you know if I can.

Comment

Sounds good man, i will probably fish this entire weekend lol

Comment

Originally posted by River Bum View Post
              Great fish! I'm hoping to be able to get out next weekend. I'll let you know if I can.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180817_18_58_26_Pro (3).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	97043

I'm going Muskie fishing tonight after i leave work. I have all Saturday night and a day/evening/night Sunday if you're interested

Comment

Little River is good right there for muskies. I enjoy the power the possess outside of the water almost as much as they have in it. They will beat you up if you let them.

If you target both smallmouth and muskies with the same rod, reel, and lure, then just make sure you use a heavy rod and durable line. My crankbait rod is heavy and I have caught many smallmouths on a larger crankbait like 5 or even 6XD Strike King. Muskies hit them much the way a bass will. Hit a rock, pause, feel the strike, and set the hook.

Fighting a muskie too long in the hot days of summer could kill it so you want something you can still muscle them in with rather quickly.
                Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

I'd love to go man but I'm getting some overtime working this weekend since we're behind at work. Hit me up next week around Thursday and we will try to work something out for next weekend. I'll go ahead and get my boat washed and ready. Hopefully I'll make enough this weekend to buy one of those Lexas lol. Are yours 300s or 400s?

Comment

Originally posted by PokerFace View Post
                    Little River is good right there for muskies. I enjoy the power the possess outside of the water almost as much as they have in it. They will beat you up if you let them.

If you target both smallmouth and muskies with the same rod, reel, and lure, then just make sure you use a heavy rod and durable line. My crankbait rod is heavy and I have caught many smallmouths on a larger crankbait like 5 or even 6XD Strike King. Muskies hit them much the way a bass will. Hit a rock, pause, feel the strike, and set the hook.

Fighting a muskie too long in the hot days of summer could kill it so you want something you can still muscle them in with rather quickly.
                    Absolutely man, the exception of the Muskie my supervisor caught was that it was his first muskie. But for me personally i leave them in the water the entire time. I'll reel them to the boat, take their picture, get them in a net, then unhook them. I think it would b absolutely crazy if we all have seen each other before, lol. Because I'm always at the sportsman

Comment

Originally posted by River Bum View Post
                      I'd love to go man but I'm getting some overtime working this weekend since we're behind at work. Hit me up next week around Thursday and we will try to work something out for next weekend. I'll go ahead and get my boat washed and ready. Hopefully I'll make enough this weekend to buy one of those Lexas lol. Are yours 300s or 400s?
                      man i damn near went broke buying them lol. Mine are the 400's i got them for just Muskie. The 300's are between a bass baitcaster and a 400 baitcaster size wise. So if you do a lot of bass fishing, the 300 might be the better choice?

Comment

awesome fish, dood. catching one of those beasts is on my bucket list.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bbmogul View Post
                          man i damn near went broke buying them lol. Mine are the 400's i got them for just Muskie. The 300's are between a bass baitcaster and a 400 baitcaster size wise. So if you do a lot of bass fishing, the 300 might be the better choice?
                          I've been looking at them for over a year but I'm still not sure which I'd rather have. Yours look like the 400HD? I was looking at the 300 and 400 with the Winn grips. They are basically the same except the HD has a better stainless drive gear. I'm just not sure if I'd like the more compact 300 or the more inch per turn of the 400. I'm probably gonna end up getting the 400 with the double paddle handle instead of the power handle.

Comment

I guess it would depend on what your uses for it would be. I dont do much bass fishing, so i have two orra baitcasters on my bass rods. For Muskie i used to have two Maxtoro baitcasters. Personally i think the wider feels more comfortable on a heavy and medium heavy rod. The 400hd on my heavy rod has the 6.3:1 gears while the one on my medium heavy has the 7.1:1 gears, and I'll probably only use them for Muskie. But for you if you do a lot of bass fishing and dont plan on doing a lot of Muskie fishing, then i would get the 300

Comment

I was going to buy it specifically for musky. I've been wanting to get into musky fishing for a while now but never have yet. I've got enough bass rods and so I figured I'd just get one good all around rod and reel for musky to start out with. Probably a 6.3:1 on a fast heavy rod and I could use it for musky and occasional flatheads too. Good luck tonight hope you land one!

Comment

That would be a great setup, what rod you thinking about putting them on? And i think the 6.3:1 is an amazing ratio. The next lowest ratio they had was 5.1:1, i think that's too low personally. The 6.3:1 will still let you crank in the heaviest of lures. I decided to put the 7.1:1 on my medium heavy since hats the rod I will be throwing my Hellhounds, Shallow Raiders, and smaller bucktails with. Hellhounds are an absolute must, my man! They come in 6, 8, and 10 inch. I use both 8 and 10. If you do nothing else besides just reeling them in, they have qn amazing motion under the water. And run about a foot or two below the surface. Phantoms are another must man. Phantomlures.com and driftertackle.net will definitely get you pointed in the right direction! If you haven't really fooled with the large baitcasters for Muskie before, the 300 will DEFINITELY be a good choice. From then you can see if you like that size or if yoy want a 400

Comment

Working...
                                X