No announcement yet.

claytor lake or new river muskie or catfish partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't really decided on the rod yet. Probably go with an 8.5 footer, fast action heavy power. I've been considering a Tackle Industries but haven't made my mind up yet. I've got a couple large baitcasters but they are older round reels and their size doesn't bother me but they aren't nearly as comfortable as a low profile which is why I was looking into the Lexas. I heard that Okuma has a good musky reel too but I'm partial to the Diawas since they have always performed well for me.

Comment

I've havent used Okuma before, but you should like the 400 size then. On the HD the power handle is standard, and i honestly like how it feels, I've never tried the wn. For muskie, i honestly like the Mojo Muskie. I have them in 8 foot. I know the St. Croix Triumph series rods are pretty good and cost less than moji's

Comment

Caught my first Muskie with my Daiwa lexa's. Measured her at 33 inches. Caught her on a 8 inch Hellhound. Below the 81 bridge, left of the first island

Comment

The weather is looking good for Saturday. I don't have any muskie tackle so I'll supply the boat if you can supply some tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by River Bum View Post
            The weather is looking good for Saturday. I don't have any muskie tackle so I'll supply the boat if you can supply some tackle.

I just saw this! I just got off work and I'm free all day/night tomorrow and tonight

Comment

And i dont mind supplying my boat either man, it's all in the name of fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by bbmogul View Post
                I just saw this! I just got off work and I'm free all day/night tomorrow and tonight
                No worries man.... Eventually we will get a schedule worked out to go lol. I'll pm you my number and we can shoot for next weekend. Probably early Saturday morning if that works for you.

Comment

I just dropped.my son off for his freshman year at Radford. Looks like the New runs right through the campus. Looks like I need to pack a few rods the next time I head down. Any areas to wade?

Comment

Personally i have never waded, but i do know that in the bisset park area of the new River people wade, and in the Parrott area of the New River people wade. The Parrott area of the New River is below the peppers ferry bridge (114 bridge) which is the next boat landing down from Bisset. Basically if you're standing on top of the Claytor dam, the boat landings go in this order: Sportsman, Riverview, Bisset, Whitethorn, Merrimac(but technically Merrimac is owned privately), then there's a boat landing Under the bridge before Celanese. Then i believe Narrows and Glenlyn

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Chaser View Post
                      I just dropped.my son off for his freshman year at Radford. Looks like the New runs right through the campus. Looks like I need to pack a few rods the next time I head down. Any areas to wade?
                      and PLEASE don't go wading in those areas I mentioned until you talk with somebody who does a lot of wading. I'm not sure of what rock ledges and drop offs there are in those areas. I can definitely speak with somebody and have him contact you before you go and explain the different wading spots better

Comment

and PLEASE don't go wading in those areas I mentioned until you talk with somebody who does a lot of wading. I'm not sure of what rock ledges and drop offs there are in those areas. I can definitely speak with somebody and have him contact you before you go and explain the different wading spots better
                        I'll second that! I once saw a guy standing in the river with waders on. I asked him if he was trying to drown. If you do decide to go make sure you only wear tennis shoes while wading the river. Huge holes in the New that have taken down lots of people.

Comment

I've waded in Parrot. It's a great place with all kinds of ledges. Wear water shoes, swimming trunks, and a life jacket. Wading is fun so long as you know that each step should be a cautious one. You can easily hurt an ankle or get your foot caught if not careful.
                          Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

There's nothing better than chasing striper when they're breaking and chasing the schools all around the lake. The Hybrid Stripers(smallmouth and striper) are fun too. They hit hard as hell man. Name the day/evening/night and I'll put vacation in
                            Hybrids are a cross between a White Bass and a Striper...
                            cheers,
                            Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                            Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Stripers and smallmouth bass cannot cross. Largemouth and smallmouth are actually in the sunfish family. We call them bass because they resemble stripers and white bass.

Watching stripers or large hybrids smash shad on the surface is a very cool sight and sound though.
                              Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

Looking for someone to fish with lake or river my boat is a work in progress so if you have one great if not I'm still going fishing lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X